Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Alfa lost their mind regards options and pack combinations or is the configurator just a pile of doo doo? I'm trying to spec a petrol Giulia super as follows:

Metallic paint
Alloy wheels
Full leather
Electric folding door mirrors
Front park sensors
Coloured brake callipers

I was able to spec this option by option in 2017 but now they are all bundled in packs. OK I get that but, what I don't understand is the apparently random relationship between pack combinations thus:

Selecting metallic paint and alloy wheels is easy

The Lusso pack gets me full leather and the folding door mirrors (plus a bunch of other stuff I don't really need) - OK fine - get that.

Now here's where it get's mad. For the front park sensors I need the driver assistance pack (also contains a bunch of other stuff I don't need) but, when I add that pack it forces me to select the Harman Kardon Audio upgrade and the convenience pack - another £1400! WTF do parking sensors have to do with an audio upgrade?

Finally when I select coloured brake callipers it forces me to select the sport pack - OK I sort of get the link here but the odd thing is in the summary screen I can remove the sport pack and the coloured break callipers stay on the configuration. However if I try to remove the convenience pack or audio upgrade it takes me back to the interior pack selection page with a bunch of warning messages.

My old car also had steering mounted gearbox controls but the performance pack I'd need to add for that put's it well over my budget plus, god knows what else they'd try to stick on the specification if I'd added it!

The whole process is massively user unfriendly and seems to be completely arse about face. Furthermore if I go onto the page of some of the leasing companies it allows me to select the same options without the forced audio upgrade or other packs. Are these real restrictions or is the configurator just not very good? If I speak to a dealer can they get around some of these limitations manually? Do the lease companies have access to a different option list to the dealers?

·
Registered
35,768 Posts
Complexity is a very expensive thing to get on a production line especially if volumes are small. And perceived value of some options can be higher or lower than actual cost. A manufacturer will aim to reduce the number of permutations by creating packages with some cheaper bits with a higher perceived value with some where the margin is not so great. Think about stock levels and parts which suit being together such as leather IP and upgrades related to the parts which are involved like doortrims with speaker upgrades otherwise it gets very complicated.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
For a little while recently you were not able to speck the Lusso pack on the Super anymore, so that back is it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah go make a configuration to a dealer. They have different software and they see exactly what is possible and what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts