Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just confirmation from your side if you also think battery is ready for replacement...

After pressing start car did not start and I got check engine light with message about starter circut failure and short after gearbox failure for a moment. Seccond press on start car started normaly and was driven for 40 minutes. Connecting with torque app there was a fault P0512 with starter request circuit failure. Clearing the error clears also check engine light.

Next day voltage on battery measured with multimeter was 12.3V and with radio and lights on drops to 12V. After 2 day stay again i tried measuring voltage but this time started lights radio and also ventilaton and it was 11.8 - 11.9V.

I assume that all this errors are because of low battery voltage and it should be replaced ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about that but again this week i can get on some discount Exide AGM 95Ah 850A for 120Eur. If I charge it I think that will work some time and than again soon will have same problem and than price for new battery will be much higher... thats why I'm thinking about replacing it now...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just confirmation from your side if you also think battery is ready for replacement...

After pressing start car did not start and I got check engine light with message about starter circut failure and short after gearbox failure for a moment. Seccond press on start car started normaly and was driven for 40 minutes. Connecting with torque app there was a fault P0512 with starter request circuit failure. Clearing the error clears also check engine light.

Next day voltage on battery measured with multimeter was 12.3V and with radio and lights on drops to 12V. After 2 day stay again i tried measuring voltage but this time started lights radio and also ventilaton and it was 11.8 - 11.9V.

I assume that all this errors are because of low battery voltage and it should be replaced ?
I had exactly the same symptoms with my twenty month old petrol Veloce except when Alfa Assist came out the technician said the voltage had dropped to 6 volts since being used the day before. :unsure:

I have lost confidence in the battery so my car is permanently on a CTEK charger when not in use, which is most of the time at the moment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today after first start everything was ok, but after second start there was again check engine light and torque showed again P0512 with starter request circuit failure. Driving between first start and stop was around 15-20 minutes.

Now I connected car to the ctek mxs 5.0 charger and if tomorrow will be no error battery will be replaced these days. I decided to charge battery as jwq advice but just to see if all this is because of battery. I don't want to be stuck somewhere because faulty battery that for sure will not last much more...

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
Today after first start everything was ok, but after second start there was again check engine light and torque showed again P0512 with starter request circuit failure. Driving between first start and stop was around 15-20 minutes.

Now I connected car to the ctek mxs 5.0 charger and if tomorrow will be no error battery will be replaced these days. I decided to charge battery as jwq advice but just to see if all this is because of battery. I don't want to be stuck somewhere because faulty battery that for sure will not last much more...
just be aware that the charging logic on the Giulia is not very smart.... It also probably doesn't help that diesels require larger starting currents.
It could indeed be a problem with your current battery, however, you run the risk that , even with a new battery , you will have problems again in a short time......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just be aware that the charging logic on the Giulia is not very smart.... It also probably doesn't help that diesels require larger starting currents.
It could indeed be a problem with your current battery, however, you run the risk that , even with a new battery , you will have problems again in a short time......
You mean problems with new battery because of the charging logic ?

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
You mean problems with new battery because of the charging logic ?
yes. You might be fine with a new battery, on the other hand, you might also find that even with a new battery you could get problems every now and then, specially if you don't drive much. No guarantees ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats why when replacing battery I will install ctek quick connector so that when i don't drive for longer time, or I drive short distances over some period of time can easily connect charger. Also Exide AGM should be higher quality battery than OEM one...

OEM battery is over 3 years old and previously it was most probably at some time heavily discharged as I bought car that was very long time sitting on stock...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After charging the battery with ctek mxs 5.0 car is starting but the problem remains. Car was left on the charger for 3 days as i was not using it. After aprox. 12 hours charger was showing that battery is fully charged.

After clearing the error with torque app car is not activating start / stop system and a/c was off and it was warmed up.

Battery should be replaced, first thought that maybe is something else wrong but if without check engine light car is not activating start stop system is battery...

·
Registered
194 Posts
depends how you connected the charger. If you connected straight to the battery ground, the car might not yet know the battery is now fully charged.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
depends how you connected the charger. If you connected straight to the battery ground, the car might not yet know the battery is now fully charged.
yes, if you connected directly to negative post on battery, you did not go through IBS, and it will take 1 or 2 days, including starts, before IBS updates. If you connected minus of charger to chassis, you should be ok as that goes via IBS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First I have connected directly to the battery ground, and later when I was reading manual and forum saw that it should be connected after IBS sensor to calculate charging current. In meantime battery was fully charged... Later as car was sitting for 3 days I have changed to the point after IBS but than charger was only mantaining battery charge at full level as it was already fully charged.

Now there is no check engine so we sill see if it will come again tomorrow, together with start stop activation.

Thx for pointing on this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Battery was working fine few days after charging and than again same story... Tomorrow I will replace it with a new one tomorrow but first I let it charge... New one is Exide AGM 95Ah...

And interesting by the manual (Exide manual and Ctek manual) charging procedure for charging this battery is to use normal charging mode on Ctek MXS 5.0 note AGM mode...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After replacing battery car starts normally without check engine but with plenty errors which all cleared after driving several kilometers and calibrating steering and windows... only thing that is still not working is start stop. Does somebody know if it will take few driving cycles to start working again or it should work immediately ? Now there is no errors, waiting time between installing new battery and first drive was little over 4 hours and I was driving for about 10 km...

Also my frend is advising to check if there is need to register battery in the system with diagnostics as the new battety is same capacity but different technogy and amp rating ? Does somebody know more about that ?

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
After replacing battery car starts normally without check engine but with plenty errors which all cleared after driving several kilometers and calibrating steering and windows... only thing that is still not working is start stop. Does somebody know if it will take few driving cycles to start working again or it should work immediately ? Now there is no errors, waiting time between installing new battery and first drive was little over 4 hours and I was driving for about 10 km...

Also my frend is advising to check if there is need to register battery in the system with diagnostics as the new battety is same capacity but different technogy and amp rating ? Does somebody know more about that ?
No need (or even possibility) to set anything on IBS, it adjusts automatically to used battery (within reason ;) )
Takes couple of days and starts to calibrate. During this time start/stop is disabled. It will kick in (unfortunately ;) ) later.

From service doc:
When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a
“recalibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. In
this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition.
When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored,
the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is
unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires one start and at least 4 hours of
quiescent time (vehicle off, electrical system asleep). Remember, the relearn process is restarted every
time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thx for reply... but today again check engine appeared... to start the car i had to hold power button for long time... error on torque was again the same, starter circuit failure... at least new battery is holding voltage 12.6 in stand by where the old one was 12.2 and with some load dropping as low as 11.8V... so battery now is not a problem but something else is...

Will have to visit alfa service but still would like to hear some suggestions here as official alfa service in my place is highly questionable in terms of service quality and knowledge...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you hyko, with battery drain and charging problems, except mine is already with the local service centre. Problem is that they cannot identify the cause and have had to escalate things to Alfa's technical department.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts