Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Giulia 180 diesel No throttle responce

5K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  David C 
#1 ·
First problem

Pulled out at a busy junction in rush hour traffic, no throttle!!!

As i started to move across junction the throttle failed to respond and the car started to literally crawl, the throttle returned after about 5 or so seconds but very dangerous if i had lost it for longer as i drove across the junction. Not impressed.

Lookers are contacting Alfa as it could cause a accident.

No warning lights on the dashboard

#5 ·
Could it be traction control related? ASR kicks in & Chops the power?

I'd be surprised as the current systems are really quite sophisticated and seem to strike the right balance between stopping the slip & moving forward.

My betting. Somewhere between "it's a characteristic Sir", "they all do it, Sir" or "no fault found".

#6 ·
would not think so, not a wet road and just pulling away on to the junction, if they mess me about they can have it back. its a very dangerous fault and could have serious problems for Alfa if i had a smash because I could not get out of the way

#7 ·
Never noticed any TC issues in the 180 I drove for a week in Spain, and that had some pretty filthy wet roads to deal with. The only traction related issue was punting it up very steep hairpins, when the drive got very unhappy, but the car still had throttle.

#13 ·
Has the dealer looked at it yet? What did they say? Not at all good on a brand new car.

#17 ·
If there was no throttle at all, it could be a faulty throttle position sensor. Sadly, everything is drive by wire these days.

#19 ·
ok, back from garage, the AR tech found 17 software issues, the Alfa tech spoke to ARUK who took him through resetting settings and clearing codes etc, one of the codes was my occasional use of my left foot to brake? They think that may be the issue as my right foot might have been very slightly touching the throttle pedal causing confusion in the software.

He cleared everything went on test with the tech and the diagnostic kit plugged in reading live date, nothing everything working as it should. So left and went for 20 mile test mixture of motorway and back to normal traffic when they issues happened nothing, on the motorway it went very well (will not say speed) and no problem in traffic so I'll have to see if its gone, I hope!

#21 ·
Confused Software!

Software which gets confused, in a manner which affects safety, by someone left foot braking isn't very good software in my book.

However, for such a new car there are bound to be some bugs which only time and unusual circumstances will reveal. In time the bugs should be eliminated / reduced as software updates come out.

Hopefully, AR UK will report this problem back to Italy and it will feature as a high priority issue on their snag list.

Andy

Reactions: Oggy_GTA
#25 ·
That's just dumb. Using the left foot to brake on an auto makes perfect sense. The TCT on my GQV gets confused by that as well. Software should mimic a real throttle and not try to be clever!

#26 ·

You are not meant to left foot brake on an auto though are you? I certainly don't and was always told not to.

Either way, yes it's a bit daft if the car gets confused by such stuff and just shows what a PITA all this technology is on cars these days. Makes driving far more complicated (and consequently dangerous) than what it needs and should be.

#27 ·
sounds to me like they found an anomaly and ran with it as a "possible cause" ... it may be so
to use terms like "confused the software" means they dont have a definitive answer, however you can at least see if it works properly now

you said stop/start is always off, do you mean you have to switch it off every time you start up or you can leave it off ? ... i had a loaner Giulietta where i was able to switch it off indefinitely where the instructions said it enabled at every start-up

#28 · (Edited)
Its re-enabled at every startup.
I find it a PITA as I find myself looking at the button when I'm coming to a stop when I can see the lights have changed already and it stopping will be an inconvenience.
Having said that, Giuliettas were the same at launch (and for the DNA) and they soon relented and changed the functionality of the start and stop and DNA to Remember the setting.

#31 ·
It is not uncommon for modern automated transmission vehicles to be programmed to find fault with left foot braking. Its pretty easy to understand why an ECU could get flustered, when you consider you have a TPS reading and a brake pressure reading at the same time in light of stop/start technology etc. Few people find benefit these days from LFB in an automated transmission car even on the track (just watch the 7.32 Ring lap by Fabio Francia and you will see he does not deploy LFB). I know many who track their 991.1 GT3 & RS with PDK-S and none are regularly using LFB...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.