Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a prospective Giulietta owner and this is my first post on this forum. I am looking to buy a 2014 Giulietta 1.4TB with 45,000 miles on it. The car is imported by an Alfa dealer from UK to Ireland (as I'm based in Ireland). It was bought on the British Car Auctions, and it just arrived but there is one thing I am worries me.

The engine makes a quite loud pulsating noise, I immediately thought it would be the timing belt or pulleys as the car is now 5 and a half years old and timing belt most likely was not changed yet.

I made a video of the sound:

https://youtu.be/7Yej5bxPbtk

I also read a post from this forum where someone had a similar noise problem (not exactly the same noise) and it stopped after the water pump was changed for that person:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1089746-strange-noise-around-crank-pulley-on-1-4-multiair.html#/topics/1089746

Do you think it is the timing belt/pulleys/ water pump causing the noise? If so I can get the belt changed that's not a problem but what worries me is that the car has only 75,000km and the timing belt change interval is 120,000km therefore I am suspicious why it would already by loose and deteriorated.

My worry is that the milage was clocked. Is it reasonable to think it is clocked and step away from the car? Even though it's 5.5years old and the belt should be changed every 5 years it just doesn't seem like the belt would already be failing. Does anyone have any wisdom/ experience that would help me decide whether to go for this car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hard to say from the video what it is.
Could be something with the components driven by the timing belt like the water pump & idler wheel. At 5½ years, you'd be well advised to change the belt and pump anyway. The timing belt itself won't make any noise (until it snaps!).
Another possible culprit would be the dual mass flywheel (assuming you have a manual box). When these wear, they can rattle on tickover (all cars, not just Alfa). Expensive repair but if you can live with the noise, you could wait until it needs a new clutch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 2013 1.4 tb .Had a new cambelt and water pump done at 5 years old and 52000 miles and did notice it seemed a bit quieter after although it had a full service at the same time so it could have been through having fresh oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers. The dealer's mechanic had a look at the car and claims the sounds is not unusual and everything is perfect.... I viewed a different Giulietta 1.4 TB before and it didn't make that weird sound so that makes it even worse that they're trying to hide it. It is a manual so I'll have a good look again when viewing it considering it could be the DMF either.

Geoff, do you remember if the sound was similar to that on my video, in your Giulietta before changing timing belt and water pump or was it just generally louder?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If its the DMF it usually makes a noise/rattling sound immediately when you turn the engine of as well as while running. My 2008 Landrover Defender suffered this problem on 2 occasions. Regardless it doesn't sound normal

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hard to tell from video but sound appears more from belt area than the DMF to me, to be honest there are enough MA’s about if you have any doubt walk away and find another one.

I wouldn’t expect a DMF on a 1.4 petrol to be noisy at 45k,they typically last longer than that on Diesel engines with far greater torque.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it rattled after turning off the engine.

The thing is I live in Ireland and Giuliettas are really scarce here and I got a dealer to import one for me from the UK but I might have to turn it down afterall.

Would you expect the timing belt/ water pump to go after 45k miles even though it's 5 and a half years old (the time interval for changing is reached but milage interval is not).

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
The reason for a time limit as well as mileage is that these components deteriorate with age not just wear out with mileage. At five and half years it is over due a change if there is no record of it being done. If the dealer is not prepared to do the change walk away or be prepared to pay to have it done immediately. Do not take the risk or you may well regret it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The reason for a time limit as well as mileage is that these components deteriorate with age not just wear out with mileage. At five and half years it is over due a change if there is no record of it being done. If the dealer is not prepared to do the change walk away or be prepared to pay to have it done immediately. Do not take the risk or you may well regret it.
Here we are advised to change them earlier in harsh conditions, dusty roads high heat areas, I would not take the chance for the sake of six months. My wifes old Mito had it replaced after 2.5 years as the pulley was worn. expensive if it goes bang!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts