Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys i know its an Alfa forum but you have always helped me out so much with my Alfa related problems i thought i would give this one a whirl !!! basically 6 months ago my girlfriend bought a 2010 suzuki alto from a pretty big used car dealer (not suzuki but a big name used car dealer) since then we have had lots of problems the worst of which is random cutting out !!! i mean the engine just dies no splutter no nothing just running fine then nothing and the dashboard warning lights all light up, turn the ignition off and re start and its fine, this happened 3 times once i was driving ... we took the car back they said they couldn't find a fault but changed the plugs etc the car was fine for a few months and now its done it again twice .... we also have issues starting the car basically it won't start without giving the accelerator a bit of grief and still coughs into life (its had a new battery too) also there is lots of movement in the engine when its idling both of which seem to be getting worse... my girlfriend was told by the mechanic there this is all down to it being a 3 cylinder engine and told not to worry about it , well today i test drove the exact same car same year and everything at a local garage and guess what none of the above !!!! Now my girlfriends car still has 10 months of the original suzuki 3 year warranty on it plus an extra 12 months of dealer warranty so my question is do i try a Suzuki main agent or keep taking the car back to teh dealer we bought it off and basically refuse to move until they agree to fix the problems..... or cut our losses and take it my local mechanic ???? do i have any rights that i can more or less threaten the dealer with ??? i i'm sorry for the long post thank you for reading any advice would be most welcome !!!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would suggest a Suzuki main dealer as first port of call because there is a chance they can find out whats going on, which may end up being cheaper than a lot of guessing. You may also be able to fall back on the warranty if there is actually a failure rather than just wear and tear.

·
Administrator
23,145 Posts
Yep - I agree with Mike - go to a main dealer get them to do a diagnostic and get any faults corrected by the dealer you (she) bought it from under warranty.

A rough idle on a three cylinder engine probably will lead to a bit of leaping about - but the problem is the rough idle not the design - back to diagnostics.

Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, I'll book the car into a main dealer and see what they come back with. As the car still has its original suzuki warranty left on would the main dealer do any work under warranty even though we didn't buy it from them ? The place we bought the car from were supposed to have ran a diagnostic test and they said there were no codes stored !!! I'm just a bit shocked at being fobbed off so many times by a very large well know used car company we went to them so she would hopefully get a good little car with no problems plenty of warranty ...... thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Main dealers are normally delighted to do warranty work because they get a fixed rate off the manufacturer for the work as part of the franchise. If you have any problems contact Suzuki directly because they seem to have a good reputation for customer service.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it is still on its original manufacturer's warranty I wouldn't even be asking the question here, I would be straight off to the biggest and best dealer.

Get it sorted before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the replies, the problem we are having is that the dealer now wants to charge us for plugging it in (£99) to the OBD as they said no faults had shown up, i told them we had it checked before and no faults had shown up before they even had the car so i really didn't want to have to pay to be told the same thing again !!!! They also said without seeing the fault they can't do much about it which seems a bit of a cop out as i've described it in detail and its becoming a bit dangerous, i'm think maybe write to or call suzuki head office ??? i'm not really sure what the point of the warranty is right now and it is worrying when we drive the car thinking please don't cut out please don't cut out, i'm going to the dealer later today so i'll let you guys know what happens

·
Registered
41,851 Posts
Maybe leave the car with them and ask them to actually drive it for a bit.

If it was an Alfa I would say you have a crank sensor issue, as that tells the engine when to fire the fuel injectors and the spark plugs.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
The Suzuki main dealer should investigate the problem under warranty.. and fix it under warranty.

To me it's a crank sensor problem, an ignition coil or a fuel problem... (maybe a duff pump or a loose relay somewhere). These would give the same symptoms as if you switched off the engine... so they don't log an error in the ECU (since the car thinks everything's fine).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the replies unfortunately the dealer is saying as they cant find a problem and cant force the issue to happen they have to charge us for the mechanics time but didn't charge us for plugging into the code machine , bottom line they said there isn't a problem that they can find, i understand that it doesn't happen every single time we use the car but when it does its pretty lethal to be honest !!! i'm going to try writing to and calling suzuki direct, surely it will be on record somewhere how many times the car has been back for the same problem ?? now i think i'll nip the car across to the local garage (i know the owners son) with the problems you guys suggested and see if he can find anything. thanks again for the help guys you have been way more helpful than the dealer and the garage the car came from ....... Gibbo i think i'll hang onto her for a little bit longer lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
gary mechanic

hi I own a 2009 Suzuki alto the mountains on the engine and gearbox do perish very easily apparently Suzuki do a up graded mountin for them I suppose u would find them on e bay to my Suzuki use to cut out and I found that my air box wasn't correctly fitted the clips was broken I drilled small holes in air box and cable tied it and so far no other problem with that problem also try this it relly works and I suppose it would work with other maked of cars

1,switch off all electrical loads(radio,heater fan etc)
2, disconnect the battery NEGATIVE LEAD and wait about 30 seconds
no less
3. reconnect NEGATIVE LEAD
4. turn ignition on but DO NOT turn too start position just put all the lights on
5 wait 1 MINUTE no less
the system needs this minute to apply the correct motor position
6.start engine and let it idle for a few minutes.
let me know how you get on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.