Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the boss.
Manley said Alfa’s Giorgio rear-wheel/all-wheel drive platform, which underpins the Giulia and Stelvio, has been given a "significant" upgrade so it can be used for full-electric and plug-in hybrid variants.

"We have changed the suspension. We have updated all of the electrical architecture in that so that it can take the next-generation infotainment as well as very, very advanced high-tech features,” Manley said.

The modified Giorgio platform could be used by Maserati, which in September announced production plans for its first hybrid and battery-powered models, including an electric sports car and a new SUV.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good news, in essence. Hope this doesn't mean the Giorgio will live on in Maserati only or in hybrid and electric form only. I still hope for a proper RWD Alfa V6 or V8 sports car within "affordable" range before the world goes fully electric.

If that doesn't happen and they release an electric Alferi, I might have to buy one, drop in a Giulia Quadrifoglio engine and 6 speed box or even a Grandturismo V8 with a 6 speed box and be happy with it. :rofl:

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
The advantages of someone taking the platform and evolving the b'jesus out of it, is that they will have a better understanding of other ways they can modify it. Apart from that, if the platform has had a whole heap more Euro's spent on it, they'll want to get the maximum value from it. :party:

Better than if they hadn't touched it at all, anyways.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
32,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cost of the platform was paid off by the increase in share value for the Elkann/Agnelli family anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
But wasn't that the plan announced on Saturday? Giorgio is de facto dead in terms of Alfa Romeo, it'll only be used on Maserati car (which I can understand) and...Jeep? (which makes no sense)

·
Registered
218 Posts
"has been given...… Reality is that they plan to do it - which is still positive. SOP- earliest - MY -22. As said in other thread - there is a risk that rework - both for hybrid and full electric also incorporates some cost cuttings. There is a risk that current -"perfect" - handling will be slightly jeopardised.

Anyone shopping for a "normal" Giulia/Stelvio, STD or Quadrifoglio, might as well buy MY 20 or 21 - before Giorgio is tampered with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm holding hopes that Tavares, the petrolhead, classic car racer and by the looks of it, excellent auto industry CEO, is just waiting till the deal is finalized and he becomes the CEO of the whole thing, to put Manley in his place and undo all the things Manley has been saying he will do.

Alfa is not Fiat. It shouldn't have only cheaper FWD cars. Alfa has always been about performance and excitement. Alfa needs RWD.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Glad to see something suggesting that Giorgio is staying, even if it needs to be altered. I suppose in terms of its use in Alfa, this depends if it was ever feasible for it to be used for models smaller than the Giulia/Stelvio. Given the man in charge who appears to know his brands inside-out (NOT) has decided to axe the larger models from Alfa's future line-up, I suppose it's a given that Giorgio won't feature in anything other than the current 2 models. I remember the question of whether Giorgio would ever be used for something as small as a Giulietta replacement. I believe it was long intended for use in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and forthcoming Maserati's to replace the ancient platform under the current Grand Cherokee and Maser Levante, Ghibli & Quattroporte, so this is no surprise.

My biggest issue is the likely use of the old platform from the Jeep Compass being under the Tonale and possibly others. I'd prefer to see either the current Giulietta platform or a PSA platform used. The Giulietta platform can accommodate 4x4 running as it's used under the 2014 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand), but whether it can support hybrid/electrification and whether PSA has anything capable of 4x4 running at the required size for Tonale, I'm not sure. Hopefully they can make Tonale good enough if they do use that old mediocre platform from Compass/Renegade/500X. However I'm decidedly more reassured at the prospect of Tavares being involved, rather than just Manley.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
For changing the suspension read cheaper, less complex solutions, designed to create room for the electric gubbins as a priority, equals a loss of its ride and handling qualities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts