Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof is haunted...

Sometimes I can open and close it alright and other times I can open it but then it won't close.

Better still, when it fails open, sometimes if I leave it long enough it will then close. Other times it never closes until I wind it shut manually then open it again.

When it sticks open it's always from the "popped up" position, rather than fully open (wound into the roof space).

I changed the switch (£25!) to no avail. I guess it must be a relay problem, unless someone has a better idea. Which relay on the relay box controls the sunroof? I can try swapping it to eliminate that as the cause before I start going through the wiring.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Ralf

remind us which version you've got as it makes a difference for the relays and fuses.

Will have a look when I get back from work in a coupla hours...............gotta go :)

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok,

all versions except 2.0 16v its a relay with a 30amp fuse in position 7, part of the auxiliary relays in the driver footwell. Its the same as the boot release relay so you can swap 'em.
On th 16v its in the main fuse/relay box, position "I" near the sunroof fuse (green 30amp)

If you've got the handbook its ll in there as this is not very clear!!! If not I'll try to b more specific or get a digi foto for ya wink

However, I'm guessing its a problem with the motor or mechanism, perhaps its sticking or just running a bit rough??

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Tarquini" is a '94 (BTCC champion year) skinny bodied V6.

I'll have a fiddle with the relays and see if I can eliminate them from the problem.

The sunroof mechanism seems fine when it's working, so the problem is sure to be electrical.

Another strange symptom I didn't mention before is that if I turn the ignition off and then realise I've left the roof popped open, I'll switch the ignition on (engine not running) just to close the roof but it doesn't shut.

If the roof is shut and I switch the ignition on (engine not running) and OPEN the roof, then it does work. It's the closing bit that is a bit ropey and the engine-off close never works.

I haven't tried starting the engine to see if that sorts it, though that might be an interesting test.

Just lately (since I last had a go at tightening/checking all the connections) it's worked okay except on a few occassions. When it hasn't worked, re-trying it again a few miles down the road sorts it.

I imagine that the relay is doing something weird as if it was a simple wiring problem it wouldn't be quite so consistent, I guess.

The fact that it never closes when the ignition's off suggests that the current flowing through the system is affecting it somehow. I dunno.

Ralf S.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked in my owner's manual and it bears no resemblance at all to the fuse/relay panel I've got!

The book shows a drawing of where the relays are located on the auxillary panel (they sort of cover it completely) but my panel has the relays down each side with the fuses in two rows between them.

Anyway, I took out all the relays one by one, to see which one did what (again, they didn't match the owner's manual) but none of them controlled the electric windows or the sunroof (though there was one 20A relay I couldn't identify).

Is there another set of relays somewhere else? I'm confused now.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ralf

Sounds like you've got hold of the main fuse panel, try looking above it for the auxiliary bracket. Sunroof is position 7 (roughly the middle), with a 30a green fuse.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whenever I go rummaging through all those wires and brackets behind the drop-down fuse panel, the sky goes all dark and brooding and a viscious wind picks up... maybe I should just get a Catholic priest to come and exorcise it?

Ralf S.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where is that auxillary relay panel?

I had a look right up into the space behind the fuse box but I couldn't see anything that looked like the picture in the handbook.

I had to give up when an electrical storm blew up... narrowly missed getting hit by a falling lightning conductor...!

Anyway, is it right up as high as the instrument binnacle? I really couldn't see anything but there is a relay ticking from somewhere behind the instruments when I operate the electric windows etc.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope we're talking about the same set up here!!

Did you pull down the main fuse/relay panel? It is hinged at the front nearest to you, pull it down (clip at the back) and you should see the aux. panel above it.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek: just read your other post and you obviously have dropped the panel down !!!

You got me beat???? At least you know why the sunroof won't work, you aint got the relay at all :D

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How far "behind" the hinged fuse panel is it? If I drop the fuse panel down there's just a heap of wires and connectors there. It's a bit messy but it looks "standard".

Should I be able to easily see the relay board or is it right up in the bowels of the dashboard?

It must be in there SOMEWHERE - I can hear a tick of a relay when I work the front windows - it sounds like it's quite high up behind the instruments. And as I said, the sunroof does behave itself about 60% of the time.

I'll have to get a torch and mount a proper expedition to find it this weekend.

Ralf S.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ralf...

If yours is like mine ('93 twin spark) then you have to undo the corner piece of the dash by your right knee. A screw on the end of the dash and 2 (?) underneath. When you pull this off, all will be revealed!! Be warned, the layout almost certainly WILL NOT match the manual. But it will be there!!

Oliver

1 - 13 of 13 Posts