Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first thread.
I need some help on my 2.0 TS 16V '97. When I drive(irrespective the gear), when I reach 2500rpm's, the car momentarily cuts out for a split second, and then normally climbs up the rpm counter.Only happens on 2500rpm, AND ONLY when my accelerator is depressed about 10%. If I floor it, it climbs through the entire rev range smoothly. Seems to happen only when under load and also not when just revving it freely. Garage diagnostics does not show anything. Might it be a certain magnetic pulse switch located at the timing belt pully?

Something interesting. I had another problem recently. My car would loose power, like when you deny it fuel or choke the air intake. It would happen at random, hot or cold, but moreso on bumpy roads like we have in SA. Needles to say it cost me when dicing other petrolheads. It would help if I tapped the accelerator, whereby it would then come back until maybe the next bump... Turned out to be the Airflow meter, picked up by a Bosch service garage and was replaced for about 200 pounds. Hope it shines some light somewhere. It however does not solve my first mentioned problem. :confused:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Try clening the Idle Control Valve out and the throttle body .........might be sticking under light acceleration

It has to be something that is operating when you hit 2500rpm and it might be one of those

Was the right Airflow meter fitted ?????

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
montreal said:
Speedy, is it normal for the throttlebody to be covered in oily soot?

All the Best

Sérgio
Yeah most cars are like that even Alfa`s it`s just a residue from the engine breather system ;) :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx 4 da response. Would it be ok to clean the throttle body with some fuel, is it safe(i.e, there is no sensors I would damage that way)? Yes, they did install the correct airflow meter(Mass air sensor), it is a bosch unit. I am actually glad that they are using german parts....seems more reliable than Italian electronics...or alternators..... Some guy at the bosch garage mentioned that it might be the magnetic switch/phase sensor on the timing pulley...... what is your thought on that?

Something else I am wondering about. Should I fit a freeflow exhaust,mine is maybe due for replacement in about 20 000kms, if I have them remove the catalyst(more power available then), what do they do about the lambda sensor? Do they just bridge it or disconnect? And would I be able to use leaded fuel?

Thx for the advice guys.

W

·
0 Posts
You can fit a freeflow exhaust and decat the car, the lambda sensor should be fitted into the cat replacement pipe.

Why would you want to run leaded fuel? Its very hard to find and being phased out anyway. Try an octane booster or super unleaded if you 're after a bit more power. Don't think your engine would like the lead anyway ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx said:
You can fit a freeflow exhaust and decat the car, the lambda sensor should be fitted into the cat replacement pipe.

Why would you want to run leaded fuel? Its very hard to find and being phased out anyway. Try an octane booster or super unleaded if you 're after a bit more power. Don't think your engine would like the lead anyway ;)

wrinx
Leaded fuel here in SA is still readily available. There is no satisfaction like when you ran on the open road and your tailpipes burn a nice light grey. We don't have super unleaded available. Generally, we run on 93 ron! That octane is supercrap, and pinging becomes singing. Our leaded is at least 95 ron. When travelling at the coast, we at least have a higher ron to choose from (97).

Thanx for the advice, and don't take pills for the leadfootsickness!!

W

·
0 Posts
Ysman said:
Leaded fuel here in SA is still readily available. There is no satisfaction like when you ran on the open road and your tailpipes burn a nice light grey. We don't have super unleaded available. Generally, we run on 93 ron! That octane is supercrap, and pinging becomes singing. Our leaded is at least 95 ron. When travelling at the coast, we at least have a higher ron to choose from (97).

Thanx for the advice, and don't take pills for the leadfootsickness!!
Sounds about the same as here then, we run 95 but Super or Optimax is 97/98.

wrinx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts