Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I don't want to temp fate!!!

however I have my mot next week and begining to wonder if my bank account can cope

I got her at the end of October and love driving her! and she keeps me fit as when of the road I have to dig out my push bike!

just begining to wonder if its time to change before I get any more big bills!

this month I had to change the gearbox and then they noticed I needed a clutch £700 later.....

so since owning her
I have replaced
Clutch master cylinder
Handbreak cables ( wear & tire under stand that)
Then had a random fault where my indicators didn't want to turn left ( was a fault with the hazard light switch)
then a broken wire ( 2 weeks in gargage )
Now replacement gearbox & clutch.

Also recently replaced oil & filters, jus tthe plugs to go when I get paid

Trouble is I love driving her and these are all just "Alfaqurks" !

the real question is without tempting anything else, Have I now fixed most of the common expensive twinny qurks ??????? or should I get her sold before I have to sell a kidney or something???
:cry:

J

·
0 Posts
Hi All,

I don't want to temp fate!!!

however I have my mot next week and begining to wonder if my bank account can cope

I got her at the end of October and love driving her! and she keeps me fit as when of the road I have to dig out my push bike!

just begining to wonder if its time to change before I get any more big bills!

this month I had to change the gearbox and then they noticed I needed a clutch £700 later.....

so since owning her
I have replaced
Clutch master cylinder
Handbreak cables ( wear & tire under stand that)
Then had a random fault where my indicators didn't want to turn left ( was a fault with the hazard light switch)
then a broken wire ( 2 weeks in gargage )
Now replacement gearbox & clutch.

Also recently replaced oil & filters, jus tthe plugs to go when I get paid

Trouble is I love driving her and these are all just "Alfaqurks" !

the real question is without tempting anything else, Have I now fixed most of the common expensive twinny qurks ??????? or should I get her sold before I have to sell a kidney or something???
:cry:
personally i would chuck it in for a MOT and see where what the damage is.......

worse case would be rear suspension bushes shot to oblivion, the cost there is a few hundred quid

let us know how you get on :thumbs:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ,
Its going in a few weeks only but just have that doubt now its cost me a fair bit in the last month thats all
have everything crossed watch this space i guess

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Gearbox failure is not common (I'm up to 120K and it seems a sweet as ever).

Rear suspension (as has been said) is the one to watch - easy to spot, if the rear tyres are wearing on the inside edges then you have a problem . If wear is even then all should be ok.

Good Luck.

R

·
0 Posts
the real question is without tempting anything else, Have I now fixed most of the common expensive twinny qurks ???????
No of course not, there are loads more things that could be/may go wrong. But unless there are any actual faults, why are you getting yourself into a state? Get the MOT and stop fretting. It is no more likely to have problems than anything else, the difference is you probably care a bit more about the GTV

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Pre MOT worry is all part of the fun of Alfa Ownership.

It adds to the feeling of elation when it passes. The flip side of course is the chance to get your hands dirty fixing whatever may arise. Very rewarding.

I speak from experience, mine was MOt'd this week, I had sweaty palms.

Passed with one advisory - airbag warning light.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't panic about the MOT, Just give you car the once over (ie)lights, horn, wipers, washers, tyres, shocks, i always do an oil change a few days before and an air filter change too (helps on Emissions) have you got any bumps or clonks coming from the front or rear (suspension bushes) as previously mentioned. My air bag light was on but i put a small piece of black insulation tape over it!! i don't think they can fail them on the air bag light anyhow.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all,

think your right , just check her over and see what happens, since the gearbox & clutch she has been running lovely.
Only did oil & filters about a month ago

Will let you know
cheers all

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,
Think I am defo worrying way to early, just been to Birmingham and back today and she never skipped a beat and I think benfited from the nice long run up the m40 :)

she certainly pulled like a train all the way !!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

I was being a big wet blanket over this!

She passed with 2 advisories !

Happy Alfa Owner again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts