Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting the show back on the road... UPDATED!

Finally. My GTV is going to Glenwood Motors on Monday to sort out the dodgy compression on two of my 6 cylinders! Went to the shop today, and spoke to Oom Dawie again. He suspects that the problem is down to a slight nick of the pistons on the valves. Not bending them totally, but just leaving some breathing room. Lets hope so, cause then it wouldn't be too much work, and cheaper!!

I've been driving like an old lady since the car was serviced on 20 November last year!! Only revving to 4000rpm... which really sucks when the power only properly comes on song at around 4300rpm! LOL

I'm only taking the car in now, cause I need a car every day... and I was working till 18 December last year, so couldn't take it in before Christmas!! My mom will be in France from Saturday for a week, so I will be able to use her car in the time Oom Dawie has the GTV. :thumbs:

Can't wait to hear the V6 on full song again!!! And feel that shove ;)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Let's hope its quick and cheap to fix....... why not run around in your Mini ?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's hope its quick and cheap to fix....... why not run around in your Mini ?
Hahaha! I hope it's cheapish... won't be Citi Golf cheap! :lol:

Mini is broken in more parts than I care to mention! :( Need to get it sorted this year... but with me planning a move to JHB this year, those funds will go for things and more things... But WILL try!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hope all goes well with the fix..... still want to see ur car on a breakfast run :cool:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Good luck, I hope your's goes better than Mine and yusufkhan's.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Hope all goes well with the fix..... still want to see ur car on a breakfast run :cool:
never mind see, hear haha AQ wheres those vids thats I filmed on the way to Zwartkops? Its on youtube somewhere,got a nice sound bit of him passing me;):lol:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
i hope all goes well buddy...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Eish...you didn't tell us what happened?

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure it will be fixed

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
never mind see, hear haha AQ wheres those vids thats I filmed on the way to Zwartkops? Its on youtube somewhere,got a nice sound bit of him passing me;):lol:
Hahaha! ;) Since you want to hear it...

Me passing Kev - YouTube - Alfa Romeo GTV 3 0 V6 24V Overtaking
Just revving - YouTube - Alfa Romeo GTV 3 0 V6 24V Performance Exhaust
In a tunnel (although it was leaking by the branches) - YouTube - Alfa Romeo GTV 3 0 V6 24V Exhaust Sound in tunnel!
Broken, slow to rev, but under little tunnel - YouTube - Alfa Romeo GTV V6 Sound

Enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eish...you didn't tell us what happened?

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure it will be fixed
I did!! I've just been driving around with this problem for months now!! It took months to diagnose! We replaced the crank sensor, MAF (which was broken cause the ECU wasn't earthing), had it on the dyno... everything... only when we did a compression test did we realise what the problem was!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just spoke to Oom Dawie at Glenwood Motors after taking my car in yesterday. It is indeed valves. But we decided to take off both heads and inspect all the valves. They weren't bent - just pitting. After doing this, we have to regrind ALL the valves, as almost all have slight irregularities... New valve seats too. Heads will get skimmed a bit, and new gaskets going on.

I'm just glad to know that it's not really a serious problem - just a relatively pricey one... :( Still waiting for an exact price, but I'm looking at something in the region of R5000 it seems. :cry: Oom Div reckons the way I drive my car (quite hard) the valves are quite prone to do this. With the slight up in compression I hope to feel some difference in performance! ;) :lol:

He will try and get the car ready for me by Friday, as the heads are at the engineering place and he will most likely only get them back on Thursday. I can't wait!! He says the car will be 100% when I get it back! :) :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
That's good news. The fact that it will be at full strength again - always at a cost though but in some way we don't mind, do we?
Another Alfa ruling the highways - that's the way it's meant to be :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I wish we had an Oom Dawie here in Cape Town.:lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Cape Town guys should go to GSR for all their performance stuff...they have a couple of modded alfas they look after

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Quad, why not make use of the opportunity to port and gasflow the head? Or at least, a 3 angle cut on the inlet valves and seats, as well as having them swirled? To me that's a little bit for free: You won't gain much in power, but you'll definitely experience better fuel economy (till you get some nice GTA cams and have the ecu rewritten!):p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts