Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 159 with tan leather seats, which are a beautiful matt finish in all seats except the drivers seats (I've done 24,000km), which has a more of a "shine".

I can't seem to get it to look matt again (like new)...I've used Autoglym, sofdt nail brushes, Zynol conditioner and they all do a great job but the seat still has a "shine".

Is this able to be corrected or just a by-product of normal wear and tear? Hoping it's not as I'd like to keep my baby looking like new!

·
Registered
154 Posts
For detailing my car I use products made by Swissvax, not sure if they are available in Australia, but they do a gloss corrector for your exact application.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I find it best to wash the leather with a good cleaner, I use zymol. Then clean with a soft warm damp cloth.
Rub in leather cream with your fingers and allow to dry. Clean again with a warm damp cloth and buff dry with a soft cloth.
This removes the shine and returns the leather to new with the matt finish.
Good luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unfortunately its just the result of normal wear...drivers seat always goes first as that's the seat used most. Give it a few months and they'll all look the same...not exactly what you wanted to hear but once they all match they dont look too bad at all.

A

·
0 Posts
For detailing my car I use products made by Swissvax, not sure if they are available in Australia, but they do a gloss corrector for your exact application.

Hope that helps.
They look like good products even if a tad expensive. They're not expensive if they work though. Good tip. :thumbs:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unfortunately its just the result of normal wear...drivers seat always goes first as that's the seat used most. Give it a few months and they'll all look the same...not exactly what you wanted to hear but once they all match they dont look too bad at all.
Not true. Clean regularly with warm water, rub in a good conditioner and clean again with warm water. Buff dry. I've had several cars with leather, all of which I've kept as new by regular (monthly) conditioning.
Ugly creases to the bolsters and side can also be removed by a very hot iron. (check a small area first to ensure the seat doesn't melt!!)

Using an iron on a damp cotton cloth over very shiny and creased areas will work wonders.

I do this on my Spider and it worked great on the cream leather in my previous 355 and 360 Ferrari's both of which covered 20k miles in 18 months and the leather looked as good and matt as new with no greasing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not true. Clean regularly with warm water, rub in a good conditioner and clean again with warm water. Buff dry. I've had several cars with leather, all of which I've kept as new by regular (monthly) conditioning.
Ugly creases to the bolsters and side can also be removed by a very hot iron. (check a small area first to ensure the seat doesn't melt!!)

Using an iron on a damp cotton cloth over very shiny and creased areas will work wonders.

I do this on my Spider and it worked great on the cream leather in my previous 355 and 360 Ferrari's both of which covered 20k miles in 18 months and the leather looked as good and matt as new with no greasing.
What a great tip! The driver's side lumber and seat squab on by brera was looking a tad shiny and slightly creased. I tried the iron and damp cloth and the shine has gone. The creases are still visible, but with a bit more time and effort, I'm sure I could get them out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try a very hot iron without the damp cloth, hold the flat of the iron on the creases for a few seconds, check and repeat. Ensure you move the iron around so you dont get an Iron shaped smooth patch !!

WARNING: Check on an out of site area first, this should be OK for modern cars, but some older cars have squab fillings that can melt or deform.

Remember to rub in some good leather cream/conditioner using your fingers, after using the iron, allow it to soak in, then rub it with a warm damp cloth to remove the excess. This replaces the natural oils and keeps the leather looking good.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well I'd spent half an hour removing the shine on the driver's seat with a damp cloth and iron. I then rubbed in some autoglym leather cream and the shine is now back. :mad: Can anyone recommend a leather cream that doesn't add the shine?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I'd spent half an hour removing the shine on the driver's seat with a damp cloth and iron. I then rubbed in some autoglym leather cream and the shine is now back. :mad: Can anyone recommend a leather cream that doesn't add the shine?
Once you've applied the leather cream, allow it to 'soak in' then I find if you clean the excess off, and wipe the leather with a warm damp cloth then you dont get the shine.

If you've already done all the hard work, rubbing the leather now with a damp cloth should do the trick.

I use Zymol leather conditioner.

Good luck

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've used Ikea's leather sofa shampoo stuff on my previous 6 cars, all with light shades of leather and it works very well. No shine and keeps them nice and clean and flat matt.
what i said!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I usualy clean my seats with autoglym to a shine finish.

Another Alfa owner then commented how worn my seats looked compared to his - ~I was raging!:mad:

His seats looked nowhere near as good as mine IMHO!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm scared to use a hot iron on my seats, but having read this will likely be too tempted and give it a go soon! Cheers :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great tips from Northern up there,

I'm pretty knowledgeable as well, check my swissvax thread.

Basically you do not need the Swissvax gloss corrector in 95% of cases. For the shine on your seats, using the swissvax cleaning method (download their free pdf booklet), of cleaning conditioning and elephant wax does the job. Check the pics on my thread.

The (matt) gloss corrector is really for things like the steering wheel which retains a used shinyness no matter how much you clean it.

I believe swissvax also to a glaze to protect the drivers seat instep I believe like a shield against creasing.

Of all the products I know (for me) swissvax was the only one to return the as new matt look to the leather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts