Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In particular in the wet the GTV really is unstable even with a good set of front tyres you have to really be gentle on the gas or the front wheels will just spin out on you.

and generally when cornering you have to be very carefull about putting on the gas.

Even in straight lines sometimes in second I feel the wheels start to go on me.

Is 220 HP in the front too much for a small coupe.

should I just get better wheels on the front (was thinking of going for some PS2's)

I have a far amount of confience in the amount of grip the car has in the dry (as long as you dont try anything stupid like flooring it on a sharp bend) but in the wet the GTV are a bit dodgey in my mind.

Drove a 911 carrera gt2 on the weekend maybe this has something to do with my sudden loss of faith in the GTV (mind you the GTV is a hell of a lot cheaper :) )

·
Registered
435 Posts
In the dry, I'm always confident in my Gtv, although like yours mine does get a little wayward in 1st and 2nd if I'm clumsy with the throttle. Apart from suggesting that stopping, not going, is more important in the wet, I'd suggest getting some decent tyres and then looking at upgrading your suspension. I've just started with mine, so all I've yet done is fit Bilstein dampers at the rear, but that in itself has certainly made a difference.

Rob

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Drove a 911 carrera gt2 on the weekend maybe this has something to do with my sudden loss of faith in the GTV (mind you the GTV is a hell of a lot cheaper :) )
Yeah .. all that weight over/behind the rear wheels - just awful... but jesus does it grip - coming out of a bend and thats just my C2S. The GT2 is in another world..

My GTA used to be exactly the same torque steer in low grip situations with the front end getting very lively if I was overkeen with the loud pedal - nowhere near as bad as my '98 primera GT was though..

Simes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
ive not floored it in the wet in 1st but in 2nd and the dry ive had no issues, straight line or corner and i have the V6. maybe your tyres have had it?

btw delboy, you need to change your status from TS to V6!

·
Registered
38,256 Posts
I am running 260bhp and about 250lb ft of torque on my Fiat and I don't have problems with excess wheelspin. The suspension setup is pretty much the same as a GTV up front.

If you have decent tyres then I would say that you probably need new lower wishbones or dampers.

·
Registered
38,256 Posts
I would agree with the Q2 diff, but its no good fitting one if the wheel spin is caused by excess play in the wishbone bushes or crap tyres.

Those need to be looked at first.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The GTV ph 1 & 2 does not have any sort of traction control so that much power through the front wheels of a FWD car is likely to cause a few issues ( I think Clarkson said on Top Gear that 225bhp is probably the maximum you want through FWD when he was driving a 260bhp Saab).

An LSD (Q2 in Alfa parlance) will help out a lot. It will reduce torque steer and also aid getting power down out of the corners.

That said, an LSD is only really going to help if you are putting power down.... if you are off the power and losing grip (i.e. in wet conditions) then tyres and suspension are the things you want to look at. Do you run your tyres at 'book' pressure... Mine had dropped down to 32psi over a couple of weeks and I was getting some front end drift at roundabouts until I topped them up

·
Registered
953 Posts
MY GTV (albeit a TS) does this if I floor it in the wet, I find that just feeding in the throttle gently cures it. Tyres aren't the best type, but have plenty of tread left on the front ones. I find taking corners in the wet a pleasure, because when it does lose grip, it kind of goes into a 4 wheel slide, and it's amazingly controlable to get back in shape again (I come from owning a Punto with shoddy road holding!). Would be interesting to know if the V6 has similar characteristics.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
i despise my car in the wet. in the dry its lively but in the wet, forget it.

me thinks a Q2 is the order of the day soon, seem to be quite popular

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Another vote for the Q2 - essential for a hard-driven GTV V6.

make that another vote, although after splashing the cash i'm to afraid to welly it at the mo, plus my front tyres are down to the thread on the inner edge.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Does the Q2 fit on the 2.5 v6 (155?) Tarquini only musters 163 bhp.. but a Q2 may be interesting to try.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
435 Posts
MY GTV (albeit a TS) does this if I floor it in the wet, I find that just feeding in the throttle gently cures it. Tyres aren't the best type, but have plenty of tread left on the front ones. I find taking corners in the wet a pleasure, because when it does lose grip, it kind of goes into a 4 wheel slide, and it's amazingly controlable to get back in shape again (I come from owning a Punto with shoddy road holding!). Would be interesting to know if the V6 has similar characteristics.
Tends to go more at the front due to all that extra weight. Weight distribution in a V6 is 62/38 which, by my calculations, puts around 860kg over the front wheels. I haven't actually managed to unstick the rear :)

·
Vendor
46,129 Posts
Does the Q2 fit on the 2.5 v6 (155?) Tarquini only musters 163 bhp.. but a Q2 may be interesting to try.

Ralf S.
Difficult one.. Do you know what gearbox it has? If its the same one as in the early GTV V6 with 5-speed gearbox then yes :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thing is on a car thats worth 3-4 K. When you start talking about upgrades which are gonna cost 500-600 quid. And you wont really get much of the money back when its time to sell because people have a figure in mind when they buy your car based on the book value of the model etc and other cars on the market.

It doesnt seem that worthwhile in pumping too much money into GTV's.

I think your better off keeping the GTV in good condition and looking after it. but basically dont spend much in upgrading unless you are a GTV fanatic and its a labour of love.

I love my GTV, but the reality is its just a cheap semi-performance car with some character (aka nice styling and great engine). If you really love cars though I think your better off getting a GTV early as a cheap nice car you can apprecaite and saving money for a real buet of a car, like a porche 911, or a TVR or lotus or summin... just my 2 cents.

On a side note is it possible to convert the GTV into 4 wheel drive? has anyone every done it?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
or see about putting a V6 in a heavily modified boot/rear seat space ;)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I had similar problem on a 146 ti, real nasty wheelspin, problem caused by.......wishbones

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
With the TS I have great fun on corners and roundabouts in the wet. As GTV Rob says I can feel the car sliding on all 4 wheels if I push it hard in the wet. There is obvious understeer but if you play with the steering and throttle with quick moves you can pull it in quite easy and regain grip again. It's almost a power slide. Of course if you push too hard you will get out of shape but I never feel like I will loose control. The TS must give the car a better balance than the V6. I can't comment on how it feels with the extra weight and power until I try it out fully.. Anyone up here got one I can take for a spin?? :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts