Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

My alloy wheel nuts look like crap.

I bought chrome covers on e-bay (and very nice they are too), but they will not fit on the locking nuts. My dilemma-do I remove the locking nuts and fit the covers? Or how do I remove the rust and get the wheel nuts looking respectable?

Also, bit of surface rust on the exhaust-it is the 'fat' single exhaust. Any suggestions for what I can use the remove the rust and get the visible part of the exhaust nice and shiny?

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
For the nuts... I would take them off and sand them down to clear the rust and them hammerite them so they don't rust again. You could just sand and polish them of course, as this is probably how they came.

Im not so sure about the exhaust, if its patchy surface rust that wont spray off I guess you would have to sand it out and polish the whole thing again? But a halfords muffler tip and screw it over the end :cheese:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Try using aluminium tin foil and some coke on the exhaust. It should shine it up a treat and will remove rust spots providing your not talking about rotten holes in it or anything.

·
Administrator
45,153 Posts
I agree with the bit of wire wool on the wheel nuts and then two coats of smooth silver hammerite. Look perfect once finished.
The chrome covers are a bit tacky for me. I wouldn't have them for exactly the same reason I wouldn't fit chromed alloys to my car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
And then you rub the coke soaked tin foil on the rusty bits?

I've heard treacle tart and custard is good for bringing your tyres back to black too:cheese: :cheese: Sorry, I'll behave.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's not so much for rust, mainly for cleaning up soot deposits from stainless steel exhausts. The rust should shift because it'll just be little pits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts