Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps and chapesses,

I've fallen out of love with my 159...., it's turned into a money pit.

Feb this year had it's mot £250 new pads and inner tie rods, was to be expected. Two weeks later water pump failed, that was another £430, less than a week after that the steering rack gave up the ghost another £860.

By the way, it's a 2006 159 1.9 Jtdm 85'000 miles on the clock.

Theres been a bit of a whiff coiming into the cabin, did a bit of a search on here and couldn't really get any answers apart from put the air recirc on, that worked., any way on the way home from chester yesterday noticed a hissing noise from below the engine and black smoke on acceleration, (apologies to the citreon owner behind me), got home had a look on here and got the answer split pipe from exhaust to DPF, but also found swivel valve rod off so reconnected - made worse EM light came on, removed rod again and restarted EM light went off, fixed split pipe and took car for a spin, all ok till EM light came on and car went into limp mode, rev's won't go over 3500, switch off and all is ok (but EM light remains) drive about 500 meters them EM and limp again.

Seriously ****ed off now, tried to contact ARUK re early failures but no reply, so question is do I wrap it round a tree and be done with it, but there again can I be sure the airbags will go off??

your input please

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
462 Posts
Happens to us all, and all cars, not just Alfas.

First thing I guess is to get an accurate assessment of exactly whats wrong, and cost to fix, and at least then you can make an informed decision on the way forward.

Keep smiling Ian.

PS sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I know of a guy who could probably get it to "catch fire mysteriously" once you've checked the insurance. lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked policy, can't find any that says I'm NOT covered for mysteriously catching fire, so it's looking promising.....btw it's unlocked and the fob is on the floor just to the left of the letterbox!! ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent £1600 on it in 4 weeks, surely I'm entitled to a bit of a moan. :rant: and was looking for a bit of advice....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Stop moaning !
Mines bean off the road since december when a failed rocker killed the oil pump, just a good reason to rebuild the whole car top to bottom and get your hand dirty, oil pump took over 4 months to arrive as there were none.
Its now fully rebuilt see the below and will be back on the road by the end of the week, worth every penny and skinned knuckels.
£1600 is a mere drop in the pond use this as a good reason to get the car running as it should. Its more than worth it in the end.
This is before I add the mods from Clogz's thread.
Chin up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Current fault sounds exactly like mine was last week. In my case it was the EGR, get a laptop, ODB cable and FiatECUScan and check fault codes for EGR issues if you can. With 'regular' EGR issues you can take the thing off yourself, clean it with carb cleaner and refit it. In my case (I suspect if it's so bad you get 'limp home' yours as well) I had to replace the EGR which was £110 for the part and about 30mins work.

Epic guide on the removal and cleaning of both EGR (and throttle if needed) here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...2-4-jtdm-throttle-body-and-egr-clean-out.html

EGR faults , it seems, are so common on the 159 diesels that I would call the EGR a consumable part to be honest.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just checked policy, can't find any that says I'm NOT covered for mysteriously catching fire, so it's looking promising.....btw it's unlocked and the fob is on the floor just to the left of the letterbox!! ;)
lol good to see it's not affected your sense of humor:lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update time,
Took off EGR valve and throttle valve and cleaned out, yes it was a bit "dirty", started up still got EM and limping. Think the issue is with the swivel valve seals, must have made it worse repositioning them to re-fit rod. Have ordered ELM cable so will plug in and see what it says. So looks like a new inlet manifold is on the cards. I'll keep you all posted. Also found this on a Vauxhall forum if anyone is interested. 1.9CDTi Swirl Flaps - What, Where, Why and How Much?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah check with cable first but as i mentioned in my post , mine was also 'limp home' and EGR wasn't too bad looking except the space between the solenoid and valve. Cleaning it all up made issue worse and it only resolved when I replace the EGR. I did have 2 fault codes , both EGR related.

I am currently theorizing that a cleanable EGR is due to a 'ceased' valve stem whereas an EGR could get 'worn' seals and 'leak like mad. The later would cause the more severe 'limp home' and need replacing. I have so far (only 100miles so inconclusive atm) noticed that replacing my 4 yr olds EGR has improved my mpg noticeably (mpg before i used to do a monthly tank of millers treated diesel was 33, since i have been using millers 36 and since EGR replaced 40)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So as promised...
Cable arrived today EML327 v1.4, downloaded multi scan ecu (free version) connected to car with no problems and got surprisingly only 1 fault - P1206 clean or replace particulate filter. Upgraded to registered version and performed forced regen but wouldn't complete due to filter blocked message. So before i go and order new dpf was thinking of removing all the small bore pipe that comes off filter up to the pressure differential sensor and cleaning out then trying another forced regen, unless anyone has any other ideas???
So not as bad as first anticipated and slowly falling back in love with the car :inlove:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did it start the regen and become less blocked?

If so, give it another go.
No, tried it several times, only ran for about a minute, came up with "completed" and message saying filter blocked. So will be getting hands dirty again at weekend and I'm hoping it is the pipes, the internal diameter looks too small and at the point it changes from rubber hose to plastic it narrows even more, sort of like a blocked artery effect going on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dpf's are a nightmare, we have them on the company ford focus's and if not replaced at 75k just cause no end of problems. Sometimes you can clear them by driving around 50 mph in 3/4 gear and getting them red hot. I think amd in Thurrock can also clean your existing dpf rather than replace it, which on a focus is £900 + fitting :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
900 QUID FOR A FORD????? :wow:, hate to think what an alfa stealer would charge :cry: , can pick one up for around £300, but will have a go at unblocking it myself before paying out, he who dares...

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
900 QUID FOR A FORD????? :wow:, hate to think what an alfa stealer would charge :cry: , can pick one up for around £300, but will have a go at unblocking it myself before paying out, he who dares...
If that doesn't work get yourself an Alfatune remap with DPF & EGR delete. You'll never have trouble with these again. It may not be the cheapest remap but, i think, is the best and worth the extra money. :thumbs:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Progress?.....
Sat here feeling rather smug with my self at the moment, yesterday removed the pipes that go to the differential pressure sensor and started her up only the pipe that is connected to the front of the DPF was blowing, so tonight removed the pipe at the back of the DPF to check for airflow hoping it was just the pipework that was blocked, but alas no airflow coming from filter :cry:. So was just WD40ing up the bolts for an overnight soak ready to take off tomorrow then had a brainwave......

Got some rubber hose and a Y connector, connected to the hose (from front of DPF) then removed hoses from pressure sensor. Cut 2 more pieces of hose fitted to y connector the back to sensor, a bit combersome to say the least.

Next connected up to multiscanecu (I love this bit of technology) and tried a forced regen, as I said all earlier attempts had failed due to blocked filter and differential pressure of over 400mb , much to my surprise it revved to 2000rpm I waited for it to stop as in previous attempts but to my surprise it then revved to 3500rmp and carried out the proceedure (apologies to neighbours, it was nine o'clock). A forceed regen in the dark is a wonderful thing to watch, all the burnt off particles coming out of the exhaust like little diesel sprites, and the glow off the exauhst was impressive.

So procedure completed but it dont half burn off a bit of fuel!!, not driven it yet as exauhst was too hot to re-attach pipe I'd taken off earler so will refit tomorrow then may do another regen in the morning just to make sure then go for a quick circuit of the M60 ring.

So in effect I've forced a forced regen.

Watch this space......

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sounds promising. Don't do another forced regen, just reconnect it all up, connect your diag tool and check the DPF clogging and percentage 'full'. They should be 'Normal clogging' and <30%, if it is (and she revs normally) then just take her out for a nice drive otherwise post back here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts