Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm picking up a new (to me) 2011 Giulietta (2.0 JTDM 140) this week. It's my fourth Alfa, but my first diesel Alfa.

I have a question about servicing.

The car has 40k miles. Should I have the standard service at 42k miles, or get the belts and water pump done for peace of mind?

I'll probably go to either Ancaster in Welling as they are the closest Alfa dealer, or Gonella Brothers in Catford (depends on price).

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Personally I would get the belts done...

The interval is every 5 years or 72,000 miles IIRC whichever comes first.

The book also says to get it changed every 4 years if the car has been driven in harsher operating conditions.

As you don't know how the previous owner treated it it is better to go for the earlier interval in my opinion.

If you don't get it done you are always going to have the worry of it snapping in the back of your mind.

Also the official service intervals are too long in regard to oil changes. If you want the car to last you are better off getting an oil and filter change done between services at around every 10,000 miles.

The engine and especially the turbo will be much happier if run on cleaner oil

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey guys, I'm picking up a new (to me) 2011 Giulietta (2.0 JTDM 140) this week. It's my fourth Alfa, but my first diesel Alfa.

I have a question about servicing.

The car has 40k miles. Should I have the standard service at 42k miles, or get the belts and water pump done for peace of mind?

I'll probably go to either Ancaster in Welling as they are the closest Alfa dealer, or Gonella Brothers in Catford (depends on price).
I personally don't like the 22k service intervals, so I do oils and filters once a year, but I do think your belts and water pump will wait till 60k miles. I had a 147 JTD before my G JTDM and my experience does seem to support the factory service recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll speak to Gonella brothers and see how much they charge. Welling quoted me £565 for the 84k(?) service which includes the belt change. It's not much more than the indy's and is local.

Any simple mods I can make to the car that make it 'better'? I'm not fussed about more power. Just comfort and ergonomics.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Upgrading the standard dampers will make it ride and handle better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well - I picked up my 2011 Giulietta 2.0 JTDM Veloce last night.

First impressions, it is not as nice a cabin as my GT Blackline had. Little things like being able to see painted metal on the doors. Plastic gear knob, instead of aluminium, cheap looking plastics on the dash and doors. However, technologically, it is streets ahead than a car from 2008.

It's a 'fun' car, cruises nicely, bit quirkier than my Audi S4, certainly more characterful and economical.

It's a bit 'bouncy' (but I am comparing it to bigger German cars).

As a 'practical' car, it is far more appealing than the equivalent age Golf/A3/Focus. The fuel economy is good (company mileage), it has all the minimum amount of toys I want and it looks great!

I'm pleased to be back in an Alfa, let's see how things shake out over the next few thousand miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts