Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Alfa Dudes, I am trying to get a Guilietta(alfetta style 1985) fired up its been standing ever since I bought my 155 in 1996 It still in fantastic condition apart from standing and I would like to get it going, Ive given it some oil and got it kicking but struggling, Im thinking theres some problem in the Dellorto's I dont know anything about these carbs, can anybody help as to what to check on the carbs, the car has only done 96000km has Bilstein GTV6 rims etc etc ,, Im having fun wit it would love to drive it, I could never sell it all this time Im not into amputation
Tks, Al

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
What we used to do years ago, may not be considered correct. A squirt of redex type oil down the plug holes, to free up the piston rings. Leave for at least 2 days. Float chamber covers off the carbs to see if petrol has arrived. Are float chambers reasonably clean?
Have float valves stuck? Is petrol pump lifting fuel OK? Petrol does lose some components in time. Can't remember if this one has electronic ignition, but if not take distributor cap off and make sure points are opening and not stuck.
Remember not to have petrol and sparks together outside the combustion chamber.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good point about the petrol, whatever is in the car wil be utterly useless if it's stood 10 YEARS!! (Really? under cover?)
Sounds like lots of fun actually so I hope I'm not about to put you ff but.....
You've got a proper re-commissioning job on your hands. Once you get it running make sure you've got some way of stopping it before you head for the gate. My moneys on all the brakes being seized!
Try the trick of oil down the bores and clean the plugs at the same time, you might have valves sticking so a comporession check would be worth while. I wouldn't mind betting that you 'll have to dismantle and carefully clean the carbs before getting it to run properly. If it wasn't drained I'd probably change the coolant before starting it as well. You may also find rubber parts like advance/retard bellows perished. I'm not sure if it has one but the diaphragm in a mechanical fuel pump might also perish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I have put in fresh petrol and the fuel pump is sucking, carb covers off it looks clean in there, I think I may as well do a whole carb rebuild before going further though, Next I will freshen the coolent and other fluids, its weird but spending time with this car reminds me of how my love for alfas came about, its a very enjoyable experience difficult to explain but Im sure most of you get it.:D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You'll change your mind soon! Good!
Well, as my father taught me, with sparks, compression and fuel no engine can resist speaking out, so get 'em all in the right order and
Brrooooommmmm!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ps baking the plugs (e.g. on gas ring) is always worth a try on eingines that have been standing. Asbestos fingers needed, to get the into the head hot though!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
When you do get it going the clutch plate will probably be stuck to the flywheel. We used to get out on the road to cure this, warm up the engine, switch off. select 1st gear, start engine. Car leaps forward and as you gain control, change up through the gears without the clutch. When in a highish gear and max throttle keep kicking the clutch pedal and it might release the clutch plate. Not to be tried by the inexperienced.
If Zuluferret is out there he would remember driving HA and HB vivas with broken clutch cables.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good point Keith, this is particularly bad if moisture gets on the clutch, and get worse with time. On one car I had, which had an appalling thirst for coolant, I'd occasionally spill water on the clutch through an inspection hole in the bell housing. You'd notice the clutch plate trying to stick if you didn't drive it straight away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts