Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see that awful guy on ITV news,the neighbour of the A10 pilot who shot up the British troops.According to him we are sitting on the sidelines with the rest of Europe sucking our thumbs just like we did in world war 2.Thats not word for word as I was so angry I went off on one at the tv.
According to him his neighbour is a hero.According to me he is a trigger happy badly lead wannabe hero.
Sad thing is this idiot is not alone in his thinking, there was an episode of the Simpsons recently that made reference to Basra as being some kind of holiday resort for troops.They overlook the fact that our guys(British) are in as much danger from air attack from the Americans as the insurgents are.
Please don't put me down as anti american,I am not I have close ties with the USA,but this is just the sort of stuff that puts fuel on the fire for those that are.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I understand your feelings, expressions Afm, problem of 2 armies, on the same side, but with a non-unified system of communication. Apparently we don't, have direct coms.with the Americans, so fast coms. between us/them just doesn't happen. Feel extreme compassion for the wife/family of the Lance Corporal of The Horse, Household Cavalry, but what a dignified lady, so saddened,but composed in her grief. Much like the wife of Sgt.T.C.Roberts, Tank Commander, who gave up his personal body armour to a fellow comrade, and subsequently died as a result, another outstanding lady who deserves admiration.I saw the interview with the neighbour of the A10 Warthog tankbuster, and was dismayed, to say the least.But until someone stumps up the money for much more and better equipment for our troops, we are jiggered I'm sorry to say.Bless 'Em All

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being an ex soldier i feel i have to reply to this one, who do you blame for such a horrific accident. If anyone knows about health and saftey, an accident means something that could of been forseen and avioded. Take it from me this was no accident, in situations of a coalition war all millitary vehicles are fitted with an iff, this is a small transmiter that tells all allies that it is a friendly, this appears to have not been working or not fitted, so in a way averting blame away from the pilot of the a10 tankbuster, but on the other hand all friendly vehicles have a clear bright orange insignia over them, as mentioned by the pilot, he saw orange on the vehicle but mistook this as surface to air rockets. Utter crap in my opinion, well back to the point, Americans giving themselves abad name, well! if the cap fits eh.:wow:

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Hi Guy's

i saw that redneck aswell.i was a happy bunny after watching him talk cr*p.the trouble is they beleave there own hype! ive got a kusen who's 23 and has done two tours in bazra.hes been blown up both times,in his tank by road side bombs.thankfully he's ok and now based in germany.i wish we could pull out,then see how long the yank's would last. windes me up the way they talk.i know this as i work for an american firm.

regards john

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Good comments, and well understood, what mob were you in if you don't mind my asking?Thought direct communications had been problematic on a number of occasions, but perhaps I misread.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oh! right jim,Ex Mankie tankie myself, 5RTR long time ago. had some good invites to 1RTR and 2RTR though fairly recently. Were you on a 22yr with the colours, which unit specifically? Just interested, as I like to keep up with squaddie stuff,from time to time.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
they had the general who was in charge of the US air force during the first gulf war on the radio the other night and his attitude was, well it happened, get over it, stop moaning and its your fault anyway,:rant: :rant: :rant: his attitude stank, and when asked should the pilots answer questions posed by a british investigation he had to fight not to laugh, the thought that american servicemen should be answerable to anyone but their own government was a joke to him, their contempt for the world is staggering, ive worked with US military in the past and their attitude was awful(a bit like ours 200 years ago), very gung ho and very very badly trained.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Was that Gen Schwarzkopf? Missed that, would have liked to of heard it, as it keeps my interest in all things military on-going.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I left along time ago back in 1989 so lots of things have changed since then just like to keep myself up 2date. Funnily enough i wanted to join a tank regiment myself but at the time there was a waiting list to get in, and as for waiting not my strong point so went for the sigs instead.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Right on Jim, started as a Junior Leader (Bleeder) Royal Armoured Corps. at Bovvy, then joined 5RTR Catterick, spell down at Perham Down, Tidworth, then on to BFPO30. Great bunch of blokes, have some good re-unions, keep in touch with some of them on a regular basis. Don't think I could relate to it now though, in all honesty. Both Regts, of the RTR are split into Sqns. all over the place. Talking to an ex RSM just today as a matter of fact, who said he didn't think they had many MBT's now, so maybe there is not the need for them so much?

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
i was in the RTR

suffolk ACF RTR aged 13 some sarge shouted at me so i told him to f off and join the real army yer plastic soldier:lol: i was thrown through the front doors :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You will have to ask serving Regiments of The Line for an answer to that one.Are you referring to the attack on the armoured personell carrier, crewed by The Royal Lancashire Fusiliers? Catastrophe!!!

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
The US forces have a reputation for being best equipt but not best trained and the Yanks may be considered gunho, but reporters find the person most likely to support the view they are pushing and publicise them. If the neighbour had been 'contrite' ,he would not have got air time, simple as that, as the reporter was 'pushing their own barrow'

In reality all armies suffer from killing their own people . I think the British allow for something like 10% of casulties being caused by their 'mates' and obviously this is exacerbated when you have separate, allied armies fighting in the same conflict.

War is organised chaos and unfortunately **** will happen.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Roll on Death, Demob's too slow. Day's to do a limited few. Ah! well, Duty Trumpeter has sounded Lights Out, so off to me Basher soon I reckon, unless you fancy a few in the Sqn. Bar???

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hasn't this got something to do with the differences
between UK and US military modes of operation?

Doesn't US training and methods call for overwhelming
firepower to be brought onto a target without regard for
conserving munitions or picking targets? Shoot first
ask question later.

As opposed to the UK methods which are based on
limited munitions and the logistics and supply lines.
Therefore they don't spray fire around as much.

(I'm no military expert BTW.)

Probably the gung-ho attitude portrayed
by the US and perceived by others that doesn't
help when the inevitable happens.

Have you noticed how good Brit toops come over
in documentaries (See Dispatches on C4)
compared to US troop. (See Gunner Palace)

Also flying down an Italian valley with a cable-car clearly
marked on a map and killing a bunch of tourists doesn't
help overcome the worldwide feeling that US air forces are
a bunch of hot-doggers.

Or shooting down a civilian Airbus in the gulf.
They never apologized to Iran for that either.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And it is true that the yanks killed more Brits than the Iraqis
during the first gulf war.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Very interesting detailed comments Nev. Not really qualified to debate further on the subject, other than in conclusion to say, at Regt. re-unions we sometimes have updates from Senior Officers giving us a core insight, which the general public are unaware of. So the common call must be, do not believe all the journalistic reports read in the public domain. zf

1 - 20 of 73 Posts