Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people may remember a month ago I posted in this section about really bad reliability problems with my month old Brera JTD. Long story short it broke down 4 times in the space of 1,500 miles with the same problem, apparently related to 'the swirl valve'. management light coming on, loss of power etc.

On the 29th September , when it failed again, (less than 100 miles after supposedly being worked on by technicians from Alfa UK), I formally rejected it as 'unfit for purpose' and Alfa UK agreed to supply a brand new replacement car. I was told i would have this in a week.

I am still waiting for it!!!!

I have been fed various stories about wranglings between Alfa Uk and my dealer as to who was taking responsability for my old car, and now Alfa have apparently not supplied a V55 registration document.
Last Tuesday I gave them 1 week to get the car to me or I wished to walk away, (I hoped this would be enough to kick start them), but as of today...still no document from Alfa and therefore still no car.

In fairness to my dealer, I have had the use of a 159 2.2 petrol, but the fuel economy is lousy, far worse than my diesel and as I do 500-600 miles a week, I'm feeling the pinch. Not to mention the fact I am paying a large amount every month for a car that in 3 months of 'ownership', I have had the use of for 6 weeks!!!

I have just asked them for a cheque to cover my deposit so I can walk away. I am not prepared to wait any longer and be messed around by Alfa UK.

What do we think, do I stand a chance of getting this?

I'm prepared to keep their car and the paperwork for my old one hostage until I do, and I'm not afraid to write to the magazines, papers and trading standards, if this will help.

All opinions gratefully recieved!!!

A, (sadly very dissapointed), former Brera owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
As a prospect Alfa Spider customer I am really troubled by your post. There are three parts her yourself, the dealer and Alfa UK. It might look like you are suffering due to a dispute between the dealer and Alfa. I will not speculate.

If Alfa want to change their reputation in UK they need to sort out issues like this. Lets try to be positive. Will you have kept the Brera if Alfa UK come up with a new replacement car?

I would like to believe you would! Alfa UK - just get on with it.

In the back hand you should take some legal advice.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
By their own admission they sold you something
that was not of merchantable quality.

I'd pop down to the CAB (Citizens' Advice Bureau)
if I were you.


Sad that it looked like the dealer was
going to sort it, only to be let down at the last hurdle.
:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,180 Posts
Paperwork, paperwork and paperwork.

Make sure everything you've told them has been in writing and what they have promised to you is also in writing. That way they haven't got a leg to stand on. Otherwise I think you're in for a fight TBH. They would much rather give you a replacement than give you a full refund...

As Nev says something "not of merchantable quality" is the route to go

Good luck. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support guys. I had a phone call from the dealer principle about half an hour ago, and so far it looks unlikely that they will agree to a refund.
Mogle has hit the nail on the head when he says I have suffered due to disputes between Alfa Uk and the dealer. The situation appears to be complicated by the fact that 3 days after I returned the car, the dealer ceased to be an Alfa sales agent!
From what I understand the dealer have done everything in there power to sort the situation, they have had the car there ready and waiting for over 2 weeks, but Alfa UK haven't provided them with the paperwork to register it; so it's just sitting there!
I'm going to speak to the CAB and see if I have an right to insist on a refund, but sadly nothing is in writing, other than a letter confirming the car will be replaced. There is no mention of timescales unfortunately.
I'll report back what the CAB have to say, and we''ll go from there. I'm so dissapointed at the moment, I loved the Brera and to be honest I don't know what else i would buy even if I do get a refund???
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If the refund looks unlikely, how about dropping "Top Gear"
or "Watchdog" a line?

Alfa UK seem to be the one's holding up the replacement
and they've been harping on about cleaning up their act.

A hint of bad publicity may shift the "blockage".

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
brerasv said:
Mogle has hit the nail on the head when he says I have suffered due to disputes between Alfa Uk and the dealer.

The situation appears to be complicated by the fact that 3 days after I returned the car, the dealer ceased to be an Alfa sales agent!
It should be in Alfa UK's interests to resolve this issue. Without any relationship to your dealer all of us welcome Alfa UK' struggle to improve their dealers and service stations. It is long time over due. I don't think they can afford to lose customers like yourself.

I advice you to send a letter to the general manager of Alfa UK, send the letter in his name, where you strongly advice him to resolve this issue personally. Alfa UK is more likely going to "brake some eggs" when they restructure their dealer and service stations in UK. They can very easily resolve this issue where the outcome is a win-win situation for all parts and good publicity for themselves.

If not - make lots of noice - and in the end - take them to curt if you have too!!! Their sales number will the drop quicker then a "rain fall". Your issue must be based on a misunderstanding.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top