Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick my girlfriend up from a friend's house. The car was fine driving down there. Shortly after I pulled away on the way home a ping noise and "Get engine checked" appeared on the display together with the engine symbol warning light, which I believe is teh injection/exhaust system. The thing still drove home ok, but it was around town so I wasn't asking for much power from it. Warning reappears on restarting the car.

Any thoughts?:eek:

I only drove it back to the dealer's last weekend to have the leas in to the interior looked at, and the carpet is still wet:mad::mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
could be a dpf issue. give your bella a good run (to the red on revcounter :thumbs:) for a few miles and see what happen

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a dpf?:confused:

The dealer said Is it losing power? well it doesn't seem to be , so he said run it and hope it goes away! Any prob call him, well he is 100 miles away:rant:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My manual does not mention the dpf, so did a dorum search and that was more helpful. Hope I don't have to take it in for a regen. I do a lot of short journeys to work, and it has been cold, but last week it did two days of long runs. One 200 mile round trip and one of over a hundred. Though that should clear the soot

U

·
0 Posts
May be a problem with the engine control unit.

If its in need of a regeneration and it hasn't done the process itself, a dealer can force the process to start. The longer trips you've done would have done the trick I suspect. The 1.9 engine doesn't seem to have the same frequency of problems as the 2.4

Is your engine check message still coming up?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep the message is still coming up, should it clear itself if the fault is gone or will it still in the register until I take to the dealer. i,e, do I definitely still have a problem? Then again it could be something else than the dpf

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CAlled the dealer again , he said these lights keep coming up and as long as you don't lose power there is no problem, and the light will eventually go away. Haven't noticed a problem up to now, but on the way home tonight, admittedly in stop start traffic, average fuel consumption 15 mpg. Its normally better than that

·
Registered
972 Posts
CAlled the dealer again , he said these lights keep coming up and as long as you don't lose power there is no problem, and the light will eventually go away. Haven't noticed a problem up to now, but on the way home tonight, admittedly in stop start traffic, average fuel consumption 15 mpg. Its normally better than that
DPF Regen?

·
Registered
972 Posts
The most obvious sign (certainly on my car) of DPF regen is the horrendous instantaneous consumption while it' performing it's witchcraft. You might also notice a strange burning-type smell from under the car. Also, with the engine running the exhaust gas will be very hot. If your consumption has now returned to normal, I'd be pretty sure this was the cause - which is good news for you because it should mean you DPF is now cleaned out; maybe resolving the original problem. Mind you, in heavy traffic my 2.4 doesn't manage much more that 15 on a good day!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Perhaps the warning light needs resetting now that the problem is (hopefully) resolved. It's just a guess - I have no experience of that light coming on in mine!

·
Banned
13 Posts
The most obvious sign (certainly on my car) of DPF regen is the horrendous instantaneous consumption while it' performing it's witchcraft. You might also notice a strange burning-type smell from under the car. Also, with the engine running the exhaust gas will be very hot. If your consumption has now returned to normal, I'd be pretty sure this was the cause - which is good news for you because it should mean you DPF is now cleaned out; maybe resolving the original problem. Mind you, in heavy traffic my 2.4 doesn't manage much more that 15 on a good day!
I would immediately get shut of that car then John. I quite simply don't believe you. I ran a 2.4 (200bhp) Brera for 14 months on purely short daily 14 mile round trips where the engine barely got up to normal operating temperature. I returned approx 34 -38mpg...

You talk death & gloom. Take your monstrosity to the dealer:tut:.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would immediately get shut of that car then John. I quite simply don't believe you. I ran a 2.4 (200bhp) Brera for 14 months on purely short daily 14 mile round trips where the engine barely got up to normal operating temperature. I returned approx 34 -38mpg...

You talk death & gloom. Take your monstrosity to the dealer:tut:.
You misunderstand me......15MPG in heavy London Traffic (which fortunately I don't do very often) - which I don't consider to be too bad; after all, forward progress is neglible! Overall I average about 36.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts