Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are doing a road trip in April in Europe. The planned route is

Ireland - Holyhead or Fishguard - EuroTunnel - Calais (1st stop) - Vaduz - German Alpine Route - Salzburg - Hungary (2 stops somewhere on the way)

On the way back instead of the German Alpine Route we take the Stelvio Pass (i. e. the Top Gear route)

If anybody has any suggestions, where to stay, what to see (and what to avoid), where is the best food in the area, etc, I'd really appreciate.

thanks

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
My wife and I are doing a road trip in April in Europe. The planned route is

Ireland - Holyhead or Fishguard - EuroTunnel - Calais (1st stop) - Vaduz - German Alpine Route - Salzburg - Hungary (2 stops somewhere on the way)

On the way back instead of the German Alpine Route we take the Stelvio Pass (i. e. the Top Gear route)

If anybody has any suggestions, where to stay, what to see (and what to avoid), where is the best food in the area, etc, I'd really appreciate.

thanks
Sounds like a great trip and route but the Stelvio pass will probably still be closed in April, traditionally the pass doesn't open until early June:)

As far as hotels are concerned try Hotel Franzensöhe: accommodations
This place is great and Karin the owner is wonderfull.

David

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions/warnings, I was hoping the Stelvio pass is open in early May.. If not, I'll try to find an alternative route, or just skip it and spend a day at the Nürburgring instead:) But I really hope it will be open by then.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
nobody else did the route? well, I promise to take a lot of pictures to post then:)
Keep a look out for this post and I'll try and post the pass photos I have from last years trip:thumbs:

·
Administrator
46,264 Posts
My tip - tempered by its likely being closed - is to reverse your route to do the Stelvio on the way there, not the way back. It is immeasurably better driven south to north.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
nobody else did the route? well, I promise to take a lot of pictures to post then:)
Please do, I'm planning to do two/ three weeks of driving in Europe in September. The trip is definitly on but I can't decide if I should go to Milan/ Monza (I have wanted to go there for years), San Sebastain (my uncle lives there) or both. I defintly won't be staying put for more than a day so I may manage both despite the inevitable sidetracking (the Nürburgring looks very tempting) :)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
San Sebastian is one of the best places on Earth, I believe it has the most Michelin star restaurants per capita. We were in Bilbao in October, made a short trip to San Sebastian and also the French basque area, it's beautiful, when we left Bilbao it was 37°C on the sun.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tip - tempered by its likely being closed - is to reverse your route to do the Stelvio on the way there, not the way back. It is immeasurably better driven south to north.
Thaks for the tip, I didn't know that. I was hoping that it's more likely to be open in early May than in early April. ATM the plan is that we stay near Vaduz, I guess we can go both ways from there..

·
Administrator
46,264 Posts
Thaks for the tip, I didn't know that. I was hoping that it's more likely to be open in early May than in early April. ATM the plan is that we stay near Vaduz, I guess we can go both ways from there..
Yeah, your plan makes sense on the weather front. It's not thast long, you could easily just drive it both ways!

The thing is that driving up the mountain is cracking - while driving down usually involves spending most of your time on the brakes.

The North side is covered in concrete bollards, meaning that you have to come to a near halt at each hairpin - you can't see if there's anything coming. The south side is really open, you can see miles ahead, and drive to the corners, not the hypothetical traffic.

So you need to make sure that you drive up the south side to get the best combination. Whether because that's the direction you're going in, or because you've turned around and driven up to the top again.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so you suggest to go from Bormio on the SS38 towards the junction of the SS38 and the SS40? I was planning to go the other way around, from Austria

·
Administrator
46,264 Posts
Yep, definitely. Although you don't have to go all the way. If you drive from Bormio to the top of the pass, you'll have done the fun bit. That's approximately where the Stilfser Joch hotel is marked on Google maps.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I was driving there, the top gear route from Davos to Stelvio (and back.... and again :) )

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/134355-my-roadtrip-davos-to-stelvio.html

April is too soon, there can be snow in August as well. Next tiem I would avoid weekends and summer vacation. Maybe early June or September.

Stelvio is amazing, but for driving I enjoyed Fluela pass in Switzerland most. From Stelvio I went down the other side direction to Livigno, much better. Go to Umbrail Pass, its ends very close to Stelvio. Parts of it are gravel, parts tarmac. There is no traffic and amazing rally experience (if you dont mind some stonechips)

·
Registered
498 Posts
... The North side is covered in concrete bollards, meaning that you have to come to a near halt at each hairpin - you can't see if there's anything coming. ...
That's exactly the reason, why I prefer to drive the Stelvio from North-East to South-West. On the narrower North-East side I have to brake less, because I'm going upwards and on the other side I have to brake less, because I can carry more speed through the wider bends. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Spend a few days in and around Salzburg, the wife will love you (even more) for it. Fantastic small city, drive around the lakes and mountains (don't cycle like I did - effin stupid decision). I stayed in a small hostel with the most amazing views of the city and mountains, i'll search for it and get back to you (it's probably a 5-star hotel now though).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts