Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 147's windscreen is chipped to death and needs changing. I went to a PG autoglass Midrand and asked them to order a genuine AR windscreen and the beading too.

They seemed to sort of understand about the 'genuine' part and said they could do it. I got a call from them today asking if my car had a rain sensor or not. Did the 147 ever come with a rain sensor?? To be honest they're not engendering much faith with me and I'm concerned they'll either stuff it up or just order one of their own windscreens and try to convince me it's fine.

Does anyone know of a competent windscreen fitment place in JHB that will supply a genuine windscreen??

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Did you tell them that is has to have the Pilkington trademark on it. That should help to get it to be genuine.

The 147 did come with a rain sensor on some models at least. I have no idea whether it was a standard feature on some cars or in some years, or whether it always was an option, though.
You can see the rain sensor when looking at the windscreen. Also, you should have the auto wiper setting on the stalk if it has a rain sensor.

As far as I know, the rain sensor technically has to be replaced when the windscreen is replaced, but there are all kinds of kits and things that purport to let you re-use the sensor. How well they work is anyone's guess, though.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Neither of my 147's had a rain sensor on it. Not sure what year yours is, but maybe the facelifts came with one???

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmmm, now I'm thinking I might be confusing an alarm sensor or something with the rain sensor. Is the rain sensor the round one attached to the inside of the windscreen, or is it the black plastic box "hanging" a centimetre or two behind the windscreen?
I thought the rain sensor was the round one, attached to the windscreen, and the other one was some sort of temperature sensor, but now I am not so sure.

Regardless - if you have the Auto setting on your wiper stalk, you have a rain sensor, so it's very easy to check.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Correct, the 147's did not come out with it, well the prefacelift at least. still not sure about the facelift.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
So my 147's windscreen is chipped to death and needs changing. I went to a PG autoglass Midrand and asked them to order a genuine AR windscreen and the beading too.

They seemed to sort of understand about the 'genuine' part and said they could do it. I got a call from them today asking if my car had a rain sensor or not. Did the 147 ever come with a rain sensor?? To be honest they're not engendering much faith with me and I'm concerned they'll either stuff it up or just order one of their own windscreens and try to convince me it's fine.

Does anyone know of a competent windscreen fitment place in JHB that will supply a genuine windscreen??
The 147 came with a rain sensor for various markets. We don't receive the "top of the range" spec of cars in SA for some reason.

BUT: Some 147 GTA's in SA do have the rain sensor as do some 156 GTA's. It came along with auto headlights and other fancy things.

Options that we never saw in the 147:
3 zone climate control (front left, front right and single rear. Variable temperatures and fan speeds)
Touch screen navigation. Or even any form of navigation on 147; 156 and GT.
Xenon headlights on models other than 3.2 Bussos.
Electric seats with seat heaters on models other than GTA or TI.
Tire pressure sensors.
etc.

Just page through the owner's manual to see how poorly our cars are equipped.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
All the 156 Ti cars that I have seen in South Africa definitely also had the rain sensor. Wonder if the same is true for the 147.
I have never seen auto headlights on a 147 or 156, whether Ti or GTA. Are you sure auto headlights were offered in SA?

Seat heaters are supremely useless in South Africa, though. Only use for them is to surreptitiously switch it on for the passenger and watch them start to squirm in their seat as they wonder where this weird warmth is emanating from. And in the 147/156/GT models that's hard to do anyway, as the switch for the passenger seat is very hard to access from the drivers' seat and impossible with a passenger already in the car.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
All the 156 Ti cars that I have seen in South Africa definitely also had the rain sensor. Wonder if the same is true for the 147.
I have never seen auto headlights on a 147 or 156, whether Ti or GTA. Are you sure auto headlights were offered in SA?

Seat heaters are supremely useless in South Africa, though. Only use for them is to surreptitiously switch it on for the passenger and watch them start to squirm in their seat as they wonder where this weird warmth is emanating from. And in the 147/156/GT models that's hard to do anyway, as the switch for the passenger seat is very hard to access from the drivers' seat and impossible with a passenger already in the car.
I live in Cape Town. In winter we use seat heaters, heated rear screens, windscreen demist functions, fog lights (we get real fog and mist here, not smog when there's smoke) and we need our heated mirrors to work.

You won't understand... :depressed:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmmm, over here it's regularly below zero in the mornings while driving to work and remains single digit temperatures until around 11 in the morning. Heated rear screen needed in cars parked outside and windscreen demist needed every now and again too.
I've lived in the Cape for many years too, so I know what it's like in the winter there too. Yes, the wet winter is different, but as long as you don't get wet, it's basically the same.

The seat warms up from me sitting on it within a few seconds - I don't find that to be a problem. What I would, however, like, is a heated steering wheel. That would definitely be a really useful comfort item.

At least my 156's thermostat is working, so the car warms up quickly enough to get some warm air blowing fairly soon.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I think my garage is built on an underground iceberg. My car is like a freezer in the morning, and my seats (159ti leather and alcantara) feel cold forever!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Could be that the 159 seats have better heat conductivity than any of mine. That'd be nice for summer and keeping cool, but rough in winter, yes.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I got my windscreen replaced today. They got the genuine part right but beading/seal is obviously wrong. I dunno if they used the wrong part or used a non genuine one. Taking it back tomorrow, my question I does the windscreen have to come out again to sort the beading or can it be changed with it in?

Needless to say i'm P¥%##@d off!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I'd be ****ed off too. Is this an insurance job? They usually replace windscreens at a fixed R300 excess and it doesn't affect your installment. They will have the clout to request a propper replacement. These guys obviously had a monkey working for them and they put him to work on your car :censored:

PG Autoglass is all about quality and workmanship. They should fix this. Not sure if it can be done with the windscreen in place without damaging either the windscreen or the paint though.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup it was an insurance job. It's SO glaringly obvious that any old rubbish generic beading has been bodged on!! I paid a nearly R1100 excess. I've logged complaints on PG's hellopeter and facebook pages and mailed my broker to instruct the insurer to withhold payment.

They left two small scratches too:furious::furious:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Yup it was an insurance job. It's SO glaringly obvious that any old rubbish generic beading has been bodged on!! I paid a nearly R1100 excess. I've logged complaints on PG's hellopeter and facebook pages and mailed my broker to instruct the insurer to withhold payment.

They left two small scratches too:furious::furious:
R1100 excess :wow:
Why do high for a windscreen???

·
Registered
262 Posts
My excess on a windscreen is also a bit ridiculous. Cracked mine last year and they also wanted around R1000 from me. PG said the screen itself was like R6000 odd. Got it done for R2500 elsewhere with the rain sensor. No problems either. Excess ended up being 400 or something.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excess on glass is 15% of the claim. The branch is PG Glass Midrand MotorCity. Recommended by a work mate which is a fail! I've spoken to the insurance company this morning. They're stopping payment until it's sorted. Also spoke to someone from PG Glass head office who's supposedly going to get a regional manager involved.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I had bad experiences with PG Midrand as well, will NEVER use them again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts