Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Err that should be LADIES, not loadies....
Took driver side front brembo off today to change pad and disc, clean up etc. Discovered the inboard bleed nipple was completely rounded off. Tried to remove it without any joy - heat/freeze, penetrating oil, stud extractor, then on closer inspection noticed a split in the alloy casing of the caliper. I suspect some tool has either cross threaded and overtightened or put wrong pitch bleed nipple in. :tut: :rant:
So bella is off road again, untill used calipers delivered from autolusso- bless em.;)

Could explain why i've found the braking on a gtv poor?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Quite a few comments on here made about the not-to-sure brake feel of the GTV... nothing unusual there.

Recent discussion about torque settings on another thread I didn't comment on but I disagree with peoples opinion that a torque wrench is essential for suspension bolts at ~70 Nm... that is a high torque that means just nice and tight with a good wrench.

On the other hand, (a torque wrench and) the correct size spanner is essential for brake bolts which are usually quite soft and easily ruined! 15 Nm is too low for many torque wrenches though, its not very tight. Similar torque to spark plugs and sump bolts. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
CrispDust, I have been there and felt your pain. However, I have eventually come around to the idea that for all the awesomeness of the GTV, the brakes is one thing that just aren't as good as you'd like.

Recent discussion about torque settings on another thread I didn't comment on but I disagree with peoples opinion that a torque wrench is essential for suspension bolts at ~70 Nm... that is a high torque that means just nice and tight with a good wrench.

On the other hand, (a torque wrench and) the correct size spanner is essential for brake bolts which are usually quite soft and easily ruined! 15 Nm is too low for many torque wrenches though, its not very tight. Similar torque to spark plugs and sump bolts. :)
I think I'm with you on this one as I've heard many more horror stories resulting from things being over-tightened rather than under-tightened. For me a torque wrench is most useful to ensure things are done up evenly in situations where there are several bolts holding something on (e.g.: head bolts, cam cover bolts) so that you don't end up with things sitting unevenly and encouraging leaks.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say the torque values for the suspension or pretty important. Having done them all up to specified torques, similar nut bolts combo do tighten up differently at same torque value depending on the fixture.
185 Nm on the main rear bolt is quite high but easy to do on a 22mm nut.
98nm on a 17mm nut is damn tight.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
after replacing my brake fluid and changing to performance discs and pads my Gtv brakes very well indeed. Only issue now is brake pad wear with the grooved discs. The biggest improvement though was the dot5.1 fluid. The brake pedal is firm but easy to modulate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts