Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Looks good, I really like the interior. Hope they will bring more powerful petrol fours later. 147kw is a bit lame for a modern 2-liter. That is 30kw down on the 1750 motor and the Giulia is heavier than the Giulietta.
I heard 270HP as the highest output 4 cyl petrol in that video.

Whats that in kw, basically 200kW?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So basically what bmw is doing witg the F30 range. almost all 2.0t but different power output versions. Makes sense

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
So basically what bmw is doing witg the F30 range. almost all 2.0t but different power output versions. Makes sense
Par for the course, yes. Same engine, but different mapping with or without an upgraded turbo for more power. Much cheaper than having different displacements with the corresponding differing pistons, conrods, sleeves, valves, etc.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Jip, Mercedes have been doing this with their C180, C200 and C230 kompressor range since way back - all 1.8L motors with different CR's and different pulley ratios on the supercharger for different boost levels.

The new C63’s are 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 - so there are little relation between CC and model numbers these days

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Jip, Mercedes have been doing this with their C180, C200 and C230 kompressor range since way back - all 1.8L motors with different CR's and different pulley ratios on the supercharger for different boost levels.

The new C63’s are 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 - so there are little relation between CC and model numbers these days
except a handful of the C230 models were V6

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
except a handful of the C230 models were V6
Yes, the C230 (non-kompressor) is a 2.5L V6 N/A with 201bhp - I am referring to the C230 KOMPRESSOR - also the 2002-2004 Sports Coupe C230 was a 2.3L kompressor, from 2005 (or slightly earlier in europe) on they went to the 1.8L even for the Sports Coupe

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Within a year you will hear everybody doing this. EVERYBODY:
Toyota Camry 2.0t
Lexus IS200t (same engine as Camry but with 380Nm and 180kW instead of 160kW and 340Nm)
Honda. Accord. 2.0t... So you won't have to wait for V-Tec, Yo!
Hyundai Sonata 2.0t

Those I think were the last die-hard N/A producers left. Mazda already has some turbos as do Nissan and Subaru. Europe has been doing it like forever.

I hear the Americans will also be scaling down: 4.0 twin turbo V6's to replace 6.0 V8's. If you can call that scaling down :cheese:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Lol true. Most of their engines are designed to run on 87 octane :cheese:
As I recently learned, the Americans use the average of the "Research Octane Number" and "Motor Octane Number" instead of just the RON as used here and in the UK and Europe. This is about 4 to 6 points lower than the RON. This means that American 87 octane is equivalent to about 91 or 93 RON, and American 91 is equivalent to about 95 to 97 RON. :teacher:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
As I recently learned, the Americans use the average of the "Research Octane Number" and "Motor Octane Number" instead of just the RON as used here and in the UK and Europe. This is about 4 to 6 points lower than the RON. This means that American 87 octane is equivalent to about 91 or 93 RON, and American 91 is equivalent to about 95 to 97 RON. :teacher:
:thumbup:

Good explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf-OYXlhJis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts