Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I install generic battery cable clamps on a 2005 147 2.0 TS? The negative terminal appears to have a push-on–type connector between the cable and the clamp (which I'd have to remove), and the positive terminal appears positively intricate.

At any rate, some modification(s) would need to be made, and I'm hesitant to go down this road.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What’s the actual problem - is the pressed metal clamp fractured or broken?

I have a “temporary” fix on my 2001 using one of those parts-store cast brass clamps for the negative cable. My battery post fractured and its acid vapour steadily destroyed the terminal.

The positive terminal plate is common to many cars including some of the Fiat/Dodge vans.

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clamps (both of them) just don't tighten up enough anymore – eg when I attempt to loosen the clamp bolt(s), the whole clamp (plus cable etc) just slides off the battery terminal before the bolt begins to turn.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Are the terminal clamps stretched or do you have a battery with JIS (Japanese) post diameters? If it’s this, you can buy JIS to SAE shims, usually in lead.

However if the clamps are deformed, I’d suggest a generic negative clamp as I used - look for all brass or brass/stainless. Many have a bolt made of plated steel, I find this incomprehensible. For the positive, a new or as-new plate. Part number 46803384 for the exact piece, else Fiat Croma, Punto, Ducato all have the same basic part.

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks! Ya, the clamps seem to just be stretched.

Thanks for the part #, I'll have a look into how hard to get/how much it's going to cost etc (I'm in Chile – so far parts ain't been cheap).
(Well, the generic copper clamps that I bought were super-cheap – 1,830 Chilean pesos – $2 USD, for the pair! I don't that that I'll be using 'em.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts