Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2246 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,391 Posts
Almost but not quite Tony. I was in Cyprus in that June and racked up at Marham during Oct/Nov time after a nice long disembarkation leave spent largely up in Yorkshire before starting duty in early Dec. After we had settled into the new MQ we had a lot of time to explore in what turned out to be a pretty good Autumn so I made good use of the 1.5 Midget rag top.

Mind you it wasn't as good by a long way as the Rosso 'Sud 1.2 ti that I had bought new in Cyprus in 1976. After exploring lots of ways to get this car transported and into the UK it proved both too difficult and too expensive for me to achieve. Consequently I had to sell it over there and got a couple of hundred quid more than I had paid for it. Sadly that didn't give me enough cash to buy a sporty new car, the only options were things like Lada's and other cheap and fairly nasty saloons/hatchbacks. The only thing that remotely appealed that we could afford to buy new for cash was the Midget and so a Midget it was.

For a year that is. I found a three year old 1.2 'Sud ti in a odd colour called Corallo, or summat like that, basically a reddish pink sort of colour. This car pleased and frustrated me in pretty much equal measure but that, as they say, is another story......

Reactions: TonyGr

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Today is 1st October and Lincolnshire Day.

Are there any members still visiting the Lincolnshire Lounge? Should we celebrate the uniqueness of this county.

I discovered recently that Lincolnshire Day is marked on the 1st October because that is the anniversary of the Linconshire Uprising in 1536.
The Rising began in St James’ Church in Louth and saw Roman Catholics in the county rebelling against Henry VIII, despite attracting 22,000 people from surrounding towns and villages, the rising ended in failure and violence. It came to an official end when the vicar of Louth and Captain Cobbler, two of the main leaders, were captured and hanged at Tyburn.
Despite having been born and educated in Louth I was unaware of the Lincolnshire Uprising until last week and only then when my wife, who is RC, saw an article in her copy of the Universe (an RC weekly paper).

·
16,391 Posts
I knew that Lincolnshire Day existed and was around this time of the year but that's about it. Being from Yorkshire anyway I'm proud to not be a " Yellow Belly " and also happy to demonstrate my woeful ignorance !!!

·
16,391 Posts
Hi Tony. Not any more, too many hills to climb in the town centre alone ! When I returned to my home town to sort out some business in 2003 I was in the bar and got chatting to the locals. They wouldn't believe that I was from there, despite being born and living for 20 years less than two miles from where we were stood. It seems that I'm a " forrigner " wherever I am - oh woe is me, no one wants me !!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
So we just had a few days away in the Lakes and the weather being what it was the Giulietta needed a good wash particularly since it goes to the bodyshop on Monday to get the rusty chips on the rear door sorted. However it looks as if the bodyshop bill will be significantly larger given I found that the other rear door is also chipped and rusting in exactly the same place although not so big. Worse still is the front ends of the sills, where they turn in to the wheel arch, the return has lost about a thumbnail size of paint and the bare metal is solid rust. Same both sides. I suspect it had been rusting under the paint and the wet grit thrown up by the tyres has finally blasted the loose paint free. To look on the bright side I did at least find it before the trip to the painters and not after so one visit ought to be cheaper than two

·
16,391 Posts
Must admit that I've been putting off a bit of minor bodywork repair on the Jag since last year, perhaps you have motivated me to get going. Or perhaps not........ !

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I have told them to ignore the dents. I am only concerned to nip the rust in the bud before it gets too bad.

The wheels are looking bad but they can wait till the spring. No point in doing them just before a winter salt session.

·
16,391 Posts
Exactly my thoughts on the Jag this time last year and then the carp hit the proverbial !

At least you should stop the rot and that's the main thing.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Had a call yesterday, the Giulietta should be ready Monday. Apparently they needed to strip back the wheel arches further than initial impressions but I will know more when I see the photos. If I understood correctly they treated the arches with anti chip paint all the way round. Nevertheless the extra cost is an additional 7 hours labour which has upped the bill by £336 which is probably money well spent in preventative maintenance.

·
16,391 Posts
As long as they have done a " proper job " I'm sure that you'll be pleased.

Never mind the money - look at the quality !

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
They generally get good reviews so I think the quality should be good. Certainly better than anything I could do on the drive.

Perhaps I should have said "...cost is only an additional...." as I had expected significantly more given it was four areas rather than one (ignoring the under bonnet work)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Collected the G from MSM this morning. Looking at the photos on Steve's phone the rusting was more extensive than was first apparent having run back along the joint between sill and wheel arch. Also one door had a further spot where the paint was still intact with out showing a blister, but when they cleaned back they found it not adhering to the metal.
All in all I think it was a good idea to get it dealt with before it got worse. Timing was good as well as they are shutting down on Friday for four weeks as they believe they would not be considered essential. That after just getting back to speed after 11 weeks furlough from March has left them wondering when will it end?

·
16,391 Posts
" When will it end ? "

Good question Tony. Just seen a preview of London Fashion Week 2025. " Here are the latest Designer Masks set to go on sale this year. "

I have no ( repeatable ) words............

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
So another month near enough has gone by and we do seem to be able to see a very small light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it is not the apocryphal "train coming the other way". I see the Medical guys are saying not to expect immediate relaxation it could take months for sufficient people to be vaccinated and immunity build up in the community. They would give Job's friends a run for their money. I don't think I will be rushing to book next September's holiday in January as I usually do.

·
16,391 Posts
I'm still expecting the train with an incompetent driver at the helm and the signals changing from red to green every second........

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Your pessimism has been rewarded. A new mutation, London etc in Tier4 and where else in the New Year.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
What I said twelve months ago

To Nige and anyone who is lurking without making themselves known have a Happy Christmas and I hope the New Year will bring continuing good health if not wealth.

???⛄⛄⛄
Well the bit about good health wasn't exactly clairvoyance was it.

Any way I will try again

To Nige and anyone who is lurking without making themselves known have a Happy Christmas and I hope the New Year will bring an end to this rotten virus and a return to some sort of normality.

Everyone take care and stay safe.

·
16,391 Posts
And the answer is - Boston, probably on Boxing Day.. Ho, ho ho.

Oh well, lets make the best of it. Good wishes to everyone and lets hope for better things.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Saw that in the paper this morning. How has it got from Essex to the wilds of South Lincolnshire before it reached other places? There again I see Alderdale is also a hot spot but that I can sort of understand being in the Northern Lakes and including Keswick, the walkers base.

2021 WILL BE BETTER. You just have to believe.

In twelve months time, once the vaccine has got to work, we will look back on it as a past nightmare.

2201 - 2220 of 2246 Posts