Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i was rushed over the weekend and desperatly needed a new car to get to work on tuesday so about 8pm i bought a 156 TS 1.8 on W plate i was looking for a 156 but to be honest i didnt look at all the things i should have done it was 8pm and dark and yes perhaps that was not wise

car came with 10 months mot some tax new backbox two nealy new rear tyres and a mere 42650 miles in dark metallic blue with spoler to the rear

just wonderin if there is anything i should look out for, the car drives smooth with no noises engine quiet the tracking was off but i had that fixed and two new tyres put on the front so i was all nice and legal. it feels a little slow, but ive put that down to the fact its a big car on a 1.8 engine and the fact the whole drive is very smooth that coupled that ive come from driving my 2.0 V6 200bhp fto that was almost touching the floor and bumpier than hell when driving makes me merely think its slow and im comparing to what im used to.

a friend of mine drives a 2.0 tspark of the same year and told me to check the oil and water for any creamyness which i have and both look fine so thats a good thing. he also said the temp runs about 90 all the time which is half way round the dial but i dont recall mine running more than 1/4 up the dial (although im going to pay attention to this on my way home) what temp approx should my 1.8 be running at?

anything else i should pay attention to / have looked at before i consider myself "safe" for a bit with my rash purchase?

cheers people

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Hi, cam belts: have they been done? If not, probably should get them replaced immediately.
Hi and exactly what BF said! If you are ne wto Alfas you might be surprised how low the mileage is for changing the cam belts. Do NOT be tempted to put it off for a few thousand miles!:tut: It WILL be a very expensive decision!

Good luck with it and while it is no ball of fire I think you've hit the nail on the head coming out of FTO will make it feel slow.

Welcome to AO.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new cambelt already being sorted , which reminds me need chassis number for my mechanic so he can get it ordered :) that i knew about so im on the ball there, better safe than sorry i always replace the cam belts. anything else? I was told there was an induction kit on the car, upon looking its just an after market filter, its a standard looking after market filter, the slighly conical shaped ones, silver metal mesh, its been placed on the end of the pipe and left inside that box behind the front bumper which is where i presume the original air filter was, will this cause any problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which i did about 50 mins ago and its tip top to the max :)

10w40 fully syth if i recall, wonder what i should do with that 0w30 i have from the fto

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The temperature does seem low but someone with a 156 1.8 maybe able to confirm better. A change of thermostat wouln't hurt.

Alfas need regular servicing and the oil needs to be checked weekly and kept to the MAX level. They do tend to use more oil than most cars.

The bonnet catch should also be checked that its well lubricated. A safety recall to prevent them unlatching at speed was advised recently. Just lubricate it and drop the bonnet rather than pushing it shut to make sure it engages.

Depending how much you wanted to spend on the car the nly other thing I can think of is the water pump. I had one go on my 145 at 40,000 miles and I believe I've read of others that fail under 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is all helpfull thanks peeps, im going to give the car a good going over this weekend inside and out making sure its all clean and topped up along with having cambelt and tensioners done hopefully on saturday and having my mechanic friend look it over for any other mechanical faults. been wanting a 156 for a little time now so im happy to have one just hope its not a doozey :) mind you i didnt pay a lot for it ill admit needed to pay the bank back from the sale from my fto so budget was badly tight and needed to get to work and back.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Worth checking out the water temp, it'll use a lot of fuel if it's stuck open and running at 60deg.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have a look at other Freds on oil. I recently bought fully synth at an extremely reasonable price form a local agricultural supplies place. Use it if it's no dearer than semi. AND I know everyone will say it's risky but I'd have no compunction about leaving it in a bit longer. Obviously not if you collect stamps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the temp on the way home stayed at just under 70 so perhaps a replacment thermo is in order, so where do i get one and where is it so i can change it ? :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thermostat on my 2L is on the side of the engine on the battery side just below the MAF. You'll need to remove the MAF to get at the thermostat. The thermostat is pretty straightforward to remove as long as you have a 3 inch extender bar for your socket set (well that's from memory)....you don't need to remove the battery as some people have done. but that's not too hard either.

Remember to remove the temp sensor that screws into the thermostat and put it back into the new one. The clips on the pipes are the worst part of it all....they are a dog to get back on sometimes without the correct tool. You'll get a rubber gasket with the thermostat so make sure you don't loose it.

I got my thermostat from http://www.shop4parts.co.uk

Select your car and then look under cooling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive seen it at Our Price: £24.65 so thats what i should be replacing not the actual sensor you think in general? i will buy the part if so and change it while cam belt is being done that way if i get stuck in the process my mechanic can help me out :)

also while on that site thought i would have a look at the timing kits see if i could get it cheaper than my mechanic who already told me about 90+vat, if i can get parts cheaper all the better but looking on the site there are two to choose from

1.8 16v (CF3 Engine)
1.8 16v (CF2 Engine) - 2.0 16v

how do i know which of the engines i have?

·
Registered
84 Posts
oil pressure, cambelt,tensioners,pump, all the things that should get changed when you have a cambelt service,if any of these things break after they have to strip the car down again, may as well take the hit all at once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts