Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my S2 Spider I traced some cabin fumes to lack of the 'large' rubber gaiter that goes over the gearbox aperture (i.e. the large metal pressing on the tunnel) I've purchased and fitted one. The 'small' gaiter that sits over the sliding washers on the gearbox tower was already present.
Now I've refitted the console and can't select reverse, presumably because the two gaiters won't allow the lever to move across far enough before it hits the edge of the console. Does this just mean a tweak to the left for the gear lever or will I then find I can't get first and/or second? Have I missed something?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
if the gear lever is now hitting the console, I can't see the gaitor being at fault... it sounds more as though the console was not put back centrally, or, the gear lever was not centred in the first place....there is a small pinch bolt (2100.20192 in diagram) that if not fully tight, would allow the gear lever to slip/twist.
If you grab the gearlever knob and try to twist the whole lever, does it move?
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - no 2nd gear shift 1984 alfa spider

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I can't rotate the gearlever on the shaft, the nut and bolt are quite tight. The console seems quite central. I think I'll have to loosen the aforementioned nut, then gradually pivot the gearlever to the left and replace the gaiters and console each time until I find the optimum position. Hope there is an optimum because fitting the gaiter certainly knocked out the fumes.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
No I can't rotate the gearlever on the shaft, the nut and bolt are quite tight. The console seems quite central. I think I'll have to loosen the aforementioned nut, then gradually pivot the gearlever to the left and replace the gaiters and console each time until I find the optimum position. Hope there is an optimum because fitting the gaiter certainly knocked out the fumes.
sounds like a good idea......when you have the gaiters off again just check the gearbox turret itself is not tilted oddly or something.

Could be the PO tightened the gearstick in wrong angle.....having put it back w/o the big gaiter in the first place, he must have been on something stronger than Gummibears;)

those gaiters really do make a huge difference to the noise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts