Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The top of my gearknob has fallen off. I have bought a new top but the clips that's broken in the old one seems stuck where the top/clips are fixed. How do I get the two clips released? Have looked through all the threads around here regarding this subject without any luck - hope someone has the answer :biglaugh:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Cant recall if theres a bolt recessed in the middle which releases the top and prize them out.
However Im not here to advise how to remove the usless plastic clips.
The new unit is just gonna break off again. Mine did twice within 2 years

So heres another option , I did the following
I took the broken top and placed a dollop of silicon sealer here and there and refitted the old unit placing it evenly ,its been a year now and still feels and sounds rock solid.
Add enough so it oozes out and wipe the excess clean.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
This was a warranty issue on earlier models. The dealers replaced the complete knob. As the previous poster says the lower half is bolted on. Buying just the top half is no use you need the bottom as well since that is where the clips are.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. The top is replaced with a new one, on which the clips are modified compared to the original. No need to replace the complete knob.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
My knob has had a replacement top, not long after the car was new so obviously a sub-standard original part...

I still have a slight issue, the whole knob moves slightly from side to side, I am planning on removing the top to tighten it but I don't want to break anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts