Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spider 2.2 came out of winter hibernation a few weeks ago and I could detect a very faint whine coming from the left side. I knew about Andy from A&S clutch tecnology in Halifax from searching and reading about his experience with the M32 gearbox. Some people on here have mentioned him. Fixing them is his his area of expertise. I booked it in as catching it early would avoid catastrophic repercussions!

It went in today and after three hours in his capable hands I had all six bearings replaced. He showed me the work in progress and how he does it without removing the gearbox. The subframe is dropped slightly for him to get at and remove the end casing. He was happy to show me the process. To be honest only one of the bearings was slightly worn but it was enough to cause the noise.

All is now good and at a very reasonable £260. It would normally be £275 but I supplied my own oil which I had already bought with the intention of changing it before the whine appeared. He recommended changing it every year. It's amazing that a gearbox oil change does not even feature on Alfas service schedule! I don't cover a lot of miles per year so wil probably change every couple of years.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Was the whine apparent only when in gear? Or while coasting too?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Heard good things about him fixing these box’s, does he just lower the nearside of subframe to get end casing off?

Got to get mine up to him as I have constant whine above 25mph in or out of gear. Needs all 6 bearings doing

Out of curiosity what oil did you put in it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heard good things about him fixing these box’s, does he just lower the nearside of subframe to get end casing off?

Got to get mine up to him as I have constant whine above 25mph in or out of gear. Needs all 6 bearings doing

Out of curiosity what oil did you put in it?
Yes, he drops the nearside. He's a one man band in a tiny garage so keeps his costs low.

Got the chance to have a look at my subframe as well which has a little surface rust but is in good shape, luckily! It will be getting a coat of POR15 at the weekend!

I put in Red Line MT 85 75W85 GL4. I've used it before in other Alfas and has always improved the gear change. It has made a difference to the Spider especially shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Mine was slightly notchy but is smoother now. It's not cheap but worth it IMO.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74033-...ance-synthetic-mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil.aspx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I didn't notice if it was there when coasting. It was apparent in all gears though above around 20 to 25mph. It wasn't extremely loud though as I think I have caught it early. As I mentioned there was very little wear on the bearings and it was only on one. i feel better now that they are all done and I can control the regular oil changes. By the way, he recommends putting in 2.8 to 3 litres. 3 x Red Line bottles is 3.8.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
To be honest I didn't notice if it was there when coasting. It was apparent in all gears though above around 20 to 25mph. It wasn't extremely loud though as I think I have caught it early. As I mentioned there was very little wear on the bearings and it was only on one. i feel better now that they are all done and I can control the regular oil changes. By the way, he recommends putting in 2.8 to 3 litres. 3 x Red Line bottles is 3.8.
Just like mine is then speeds above 25 it is there all the time,not the usual 6th gear shaft one but a different bearing on a shaft that is always spinning. I bet it was there even when coasting prior to repair.

Well worth a trip up there for that price and got all 6 done.
Annual oil change should prolong the box life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts