Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know if your tailpiece mounting has any play or not.

I've got a 33 and there is some play there where the metal rod goes through the rear rubber mounting. The metal rod is thinner than the hole through the rubber thing.

Got a friend with a alfasud and his is solid.

Maybe if there is play then there could be lots of play and inaccuracy in gear changing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If its the rubber bush at the very back of the mount (near the handbrake) then mine has plenty of play too. I bought a new rubber bush and that had an oval hole in it too so I've just accepted it as one of those thing. I think i remember reading about some the the racing sud/sprints using a solid mount though.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mine is oval too with lots of play.

Good to know its not just mine. Was thinking the wrong size supporting rod was inserted.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The support is a piece of steel tube with flattened ends drilled to take the M8 mounting bolts which fix to the underbody.
The other end of the tailpiece is mounted on two rubber bushes which are attached to the gearbox. These allow the tailpiece quite a lot of flexibility. After a few years (and contamination with leaking oil), these bushes get softer still.
One mod to make the whole lot more rigid (and improve gearchange quality) is to replace these mountings with solid material (steel or nylon normally)
As long as your main gearbox/engine mounting on the bellhousing is sound, the front mounting on the crossmember is in one piece and the head steady has decent bushes - don't worry about it! They are all like that sir!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts