Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, both boxes and bell housing are the same and both have hydraulic clutches.

I can’t see how the wrong selector rod could be fitted though, the box had been previously rebuilt however was working fine on the couple of runs around the block before i stripped it but alas I can’t remember if the reverse light worked. According to CA though, the later (mine) boxes had the shorter rods so if I had the wrong selector rod fitted wouldn’t it be a longer one from an earlier box so it would be too long for the deeper switch not too short?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Don, that confirms that I have a later hydraulic box and bell housing with shorter rods as suspected but I still don’t get why my reverse is extra short?

Luckily I’d only had one glass of wine so I removed the bell housings from both boxes. The shafts for 1&2 and 3&4 on both are the same. Both rods push out flush with the casing for the even gears and retract into the casings the same distance for the odd gears so can I assume the rods in both boxes for 1&2 and 3&4 are the same length?

The issue is with the 5&R rod as when in reverse it’s doesn’t push out enough which initially might point to a shorter rod but to confuse matters it retracts the same distance for 5th on both boxes. The action is still smooth and certainly doesn’t feel like anything is preventing moving further out.

I’ve attached a pic of each in reverse showing the rod, the clean box is the new one!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I can only imagine your reverse lights never worked as you don't have the shifter shafts that stick out to meet the 'bracket mounted' reverse switch.....like pic, which I presume is same as yours.
(MOT wouldn't have pointed it out to you either, as it's not part of MOT requirement on pre 2009 cars)

Is there any way to adapt the reverse switch plate so that the switch does contact the shaft?

Post #9 in the thread above shows one modification to convert to 'screw in type' reverse switch.

Failing that, my switch went awol and I just wired up a switch on the dash to turn them on/off with a buzzer so I don't forget to switch them off....no way I am removing the tranny for a 10 quid switch! (I'll wait for a clutch job)
It also scares the hell out of idiots that are tail-ending me on german autobahns!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Sorted!

When I’d put the casing back together I hadn’t aligned the reverse fork with the channel in the lower gear so it all felt like it was working smoothly but it wasn’t actually engaging reverse at all!

Very glad this was picked up before the box was installed or that would have been a very expensive mistake.

Oh well you live and learn so I won’t make the same mistake on the next one!

Edit - That play I mentioned in my earlier posts has now totally gone too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Scary!! Dont forget to stake the first motion shaft retaining nut before you put the bell housing on.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
No, I mean post 23. If you look at the layshaft at the bottom of the photo the nut on the end has been 'staked' to stop it undoing, but the one on the input, first motion shaft, is not.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts