Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just in from my garage trying to put gearbox back on and i get within an inch and it stops!! :furious:
pulled it back enough to see inside and the thrust bearing is still as it should be.
too tired to think straight now so will have another go tomorrow night.
i hope the clutch plate is the right one. didnt think to check it on splines first:depressed:
has anyody else had this or am i just a tube !!!

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
You've located the release bearing on the shaft inside the gearbox right? Or do you mean you have clicked it into the pressure plate before trying to put the gearbox back on?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Did you centre the driven plate on the flywheel before bolting down the clutch cover, using a centering tool or old input shaft?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes to both. i made sure black collar was on the right place then put release bearing on gearbox and used clutch alignment tool for plate.
will be something daft that i will be embarassed about no doubt.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Sometimes you just have to turn the flywheel a bit with a pry bar as the gearbox is going back on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i tried turning the flywheel as i was putting it on but it just feels like its fouling on something. its clear all round outside but just wont go. hope its not the wrnng clutch kit or something.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If it's stopping just an inch short it sounds like the input shaft is going through the splines on the plate OK, so either it's baulking on the flywheel centre hole or the release bearing and fork are misaligning somehow.

I did once have a cheap universal clutch tool that had different sized collars for the flywheel and different collars for the plate. It wasn't much good at aligning the plate centrally as the various bits had some slop and it drooped under the weight of the friction plate. That was enough for the input shaft to not nose into the flywheel, preventing the bellhousing sliding home. So I hope you don't have one of those, it caused me plenty of trouble until I realised what was going on. Easy enough to check, just stick the tool back in the clutch and make sure it sticks straight out at 90deg. It has to be spot on, a misalignment of even a couple of mm will make life difficult.

EDIT: It also occurs to me to ask whether you're sure you put the friction plate in the right way round? Usually they ain't symmetric and one side sticks out and the other does not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's stopping just an inch short it sounds like the input shaft is going through the splines on the plate OK, so either it's baulking on the flywheel centre hole or the release bearing and fork are misaligning somehow.

I did once have a cheap universal clutch tool that had different sized collars for the flywheel and different collars for the plate. It wasn't much good at aligning the plate centrally as the various bits had some slop and it drooped under the weight of the friction plate. That was enough for the input shaft to not nose into the flywheel, preventing the bellhousing sliding home. So I hope you don't have one of those, it caused me plenty of trouble until I realised what was going on. Easy enough to check, just stick the tool back in the clutch and make sure it sticks straight out at 90deg. It has to be spot on, a misalignment of even a couple of mm will make life difficult.

EDIT: It also occurs to me to ask whether you're sure you put the friction plate in the right way round? Usually they ain't symmetric and one side sticks out and the other does not.
yeah i definately did put the plate on the right way round.
to quote the awesome AUTOLUSSO "if you can see yellow youre in trouble fellow"
it must only be misalligned. will have a go this evening and see what happens.
THE MISSUS WILL HAVE TO ADORN HER BOILERSUIT AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
yeah i definately did put the plate on the right way round.
to quote the awesome AUTOLUSSO "if you can see yellow youre in trouble fellow"
it must only be misalligned. will have a go this evening and see what happens.
THE MISSUS WILL HAVE TO ADORN HER BOILERSUIT AGAIN!!
Willing to give my penny worth here , but if your gt is a diesel , not so sure about petrol, but seem to remember that your thrust bearing has to sit on the pressure plate before you engage the gearbox, I'm pretty sure that the thrust bearing pulls on the pressure plate rather than presses. Apologies if I'm wrong !:ponder

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Willing to give my penny worth here , but if your gt is a diesel , not so sure about petrol, but seem to remember that your thrust bearing has to sit on the pressure plate before you engage the gearbox, I'm pretty sure that the thrust bearing pulls on the pressure plate rather than presses. Apologies if I'm wrong !:ponder
yeah its a derv. the release bearing definately sits on gearbox first then you have to click it home on pressure plate once gearbox is bolted up. i havent been out yet as garage is cold

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
yeah its a derv. the release bearing definately sits on gearbox first then you have to click it home on pressure plate once gearbox is bolted up. i havent been out yet as garage is cold
Yes your right , I remember now , it is critical and quite tricky to get the right alignment , have a really good study at all the angles of the gear housing to engine flanges as you will be surprised how far out you could be for getting it spot on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHAHAHAHA :beer: :thumbup:
SO I WENT OUT THIS MORNING AND I SPOKE TO MY GT!!!!
I TOLD IT THAT IT WAS AWESOME AND THAT I WOULD GIVE IT SOME PREMIUM JUICE THEN WENT UNDERNEATH AND THE BOX JUST SLID ON WITHOUT ANY HASSLE.
OBVIOUSLY JUST HAVE TO FLIRT WITH IT A BIT.
MAYBE SHE WASNT HAPPY THAT MY MISSUS WAS HELPING TO PUT IT BACK IN. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm the saga continues :censored:
got everything back together and fired her up to find that i cant get it into gear.
suspecting the slave cylinder now although it wasnt a problem before.

it will go in if you bury the pedal in the carpet but it bites immediately.
hope it is not something i have messed up when fitting new clutch.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
yeah i bled the slave. it was pretty black but there is no signs of leaking.
Ask the missus to press the clutch pedal, see how much movement you're getting at the slave and how far the fork/shaft turns.

Good luck

Pub

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Get someone to slowly press the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder. Does the slave cylinder begin to operate as soon as the pedal is being pressed? I would expect there is still air in the system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers guys i will have a go tomorrow after work and see what the crack is.
funny though as i did not disconect the slave from the hydraulics only removed it from the box.
it obviously doesnt want to go out in the cold again!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts