Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember the major problem I had with selecting gears on my selespeed which left everyone on here pretty much baffled.

First the car would not start, took it to mechs and they got it going but it would skip 3rd and go straight to 5th. I could then go back down through the gears perfectly fine.

Anyways, after all the mucking about and looking at this, looking at that.. it has finally been fixed, the cause? A belted gearbox casing. It was all shangled via wear and tear so its been sent off to be machined and repaired.

The clutch is also on its way out so that will be replaced as well.

Price breakdown (AUD):

Labour - $1050
Casing Repair - $150
Clutch Kit - $550

$1750

A big hit on my wallet, no idea how im going to manage registration of $800 this month also as well as loan repayments of $550.

Man im screwed, but a big relief to finally have the issue fixed, now I can drive it properly again (until the rego expires at least lol).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well at least it's fixed! Pity it was so expensive to find :(

How can the casing get belted just by wear and tear?

Hopefully your credit card has a decent limit :p
No idea, apparantly its a common fault on the 156 and 147..

My VISA is maxed out and i definitely dont want to increase the limit !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too sure but seeing as its the gearbox that went then i'd say on both.

You should ask Bob when you go in, something he could answer for sure.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Mate, had a look at your baby this morning hoisted up.

She is in good hands :)

He showed me your clutch :wow: Ask to see it when you pick up the car, it was totally fried!

He offered me a discount on the oil cause I have sent 2 people to him from here, but I said it was cool, just look after my car when I drop it in for service again :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear Muli! Will definitely have a look at the clutch when I pick it up tomorrow..

Good to see Bob appreciates your references as well, as he heard about this website?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts