Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just done a gearbox oil change on my 1.9jtd with the 6 speed manual box following an article on here. What was odd though is that even with the back end jacked up a little I still only got about 1.2 litres of oil out. So I added 1.5l as I read that it works better with a little bit more. I'm a bit bothered that there was not much oil taken out but I read that some will stay in the box. Is there a 'level' hole though so I check that the box wasn't just low on oil initially?

It hasn't done much though. Still seems a bit 'notchy' and 2nd to 3rd although doesn't grate it does seem a little rougher than the other gears. It's almost as if you can feel the gears meshing when going into 3rd.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
1.5 litres is low for any of the gearboxes your car could possibly have.

which oil did you use? and is the issue moreprevalent with cold engine (viscosity related) or there all the time (friction modifier related).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.5 litres is low for any of the gearboxes your car could possibly have.

which oil did you use? and is the issue moreprevalent with cold engine (viscosity related) or there all the time (friction modifier related).
It's there all of the time. Its not bad and could even be 'normal' - I changed the oil more because I thought it was better than not. I used fully synthetic 75w90 as recommended and again just replaced what I took out. I'd be happier if there was a method of actually checking the level!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes there is a level hole in front of the gearbox. Look for M32 gearbox on youtube, should be plenty of videos. 1.2L ? Jack up the front not the back of the car and replace with 3l of new oil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That video has me concerned as according to that I drained the oil out of the level hole! I do wonder though if the video is labelled oi9ncorrectly as the lowest hole is at the front of the gearbox from what I could tell and therefore I assumed it was the drain. It is a 10mm Allen headed cap angled slightly downwards but definitely on the front of the gearbox (I.e. Nearest the radiator). I didn't see anything on the end of the gearbox but obviously access/visibility is not good. Could anyone confirm which bolt they used as the drain and which if any as the level so I can be sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a link from this forum: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-andamp-946-spider/368072-diy-changing-gear-oil.html
next time do a search before you start a new topic
I hate posts like this - the whole point of a forum is to ask questions not to be criticised for doing that. So many forums I know of are ruined by these sorts of comments and it just gets into a slanging match rather than being helpful for enthusiasts.

I did do a search and read that article but when lying on your back under the car things look different and I mistook the drain plug for a similar looking plug which was actually the level plug (but I still got about 1.2L out!). So yesterday I drained the oil again, this time after finding the drain plug at the very rear of the box and took out nearly 4l of oil so it was well over-filled even taking into account that first time around I put back in 0.3l more oil than I took out (at the suggestion of another post which I also read!). So completely drained and 2.5l back in which should bring it to the suggested 2.7-2.8l level. TBH not much noticeable difference but its another job ticked off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It wasn't my intention to criticize someone but a lot of people are too lazy to do a search and star needlessly new topics. So you end up with too many "low quality" topics and get frustrated while searching. And you don't have to lie on the back just jack up the front, detach the wheel and a plastic cover that is held with two black torx screws and voila. It's easy like changing diapers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts