Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,
well buncked off work yesterday as i put 12 days in straight so i thought i would treat me to a day off and twinnie to a fresh 2ltrs of motul synth gear oil,
i was shocked at the balsamic viniger replicant that came out,no wonder she was whinning at me,carnt believe the difference,smooth changes and so quiet,done about 100 miles this mornning and its great,well worth the hour in the rain and £17 in oil.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That gearbox oil change looks strightforward. How many miles is a reasonable amount before its changed?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
manufacturers say the gearbox is 'filled for life'.. which they consider to be about five years..

So I'd say about five years or fifty thousand, most of these cars are well over that now, so I would automatically assume that a car has never had a gear oil change.. and I usually find that the oil level is way below full.. If your gearbox is noisey and the shift is stiff or notchy especially when hot, an oil change is a really good idea..

I wouldn't bother with just doing a top up.. you will only save a few quid and it is nearly as much work.. and anyway the old oil will be well and truly cream crackered by now.

It costs about twenty quid for the oil and is an easy DIY job.. well worth it.. mine was bloody awful when I bought it.. about 70k I think.. two litres of castrol fully synthetic and the shift is slick and as far as the noise/whine was concerned.. I thought I'd gone deaf!!

On twinnys it can be a bit of a ***** getting the top up plug out.. you may have to chop down an allen key to get it in the plug. And if its never been out you may need a bit of tube as a lever extension.

In fact when you buy a car over five years old it's best to assume the worst and change all the fluids. which are the life blood of the car.. neglect them and you will eventually pay the price.. :)

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
...and I usually find that the oil level is way below full...
So not properly serviced then!
Even though there isn't a gear oil change in the schedule, there is a gear oil level check.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
So not properly serviced then!
Even though there isn't a gear oil change in the schedule, there is a gear oil level check.
Exactly.. not been properly serviced by previous owners.. I change it at 50.000 or when buying the car..

I always assume the worst pos. scenario.. like the mechanic that did the service couldn't be bothered etc..

and a geabox fully topped up with half knackered oil isn't a good idea..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts