Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to change my gearbox oil and had a couple of questions. My car is a 1998 phase 2.0 TS.

1. The handbook states "Tutela ZC 80/s API GL4" however I can't find this anywhere. I've come across "Tutela ZC 75 SYNTH (API GL 5) 75w-80" at Alfa Romeo GTV Gearbox Oil and am wondering if that will do? That one is GL5 so not sure if I'd be better finding some GL4 as that is what the handbook states?

2. I understand there isn't much space to get a hex key in to undo the drain plug. Most people seem to cut down a 12mm hex key to get in. Does anyone know if a 12mm one of these would fit in the space available? Laser Drain Plug Key Set | Halfords UK

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
75 Posts
Planning to change my gearbox oil and had a couple of questions. My car is a 1998 phase 2.0 TS.

1. The handbook states "Tutela ZC 80/s API GL4" however I can't find this anywhere. I've come across "Tutela ZC 75 SYNTH (API GL 5) 75w-80" at Alfa Romeo GTV Gearbox Oil and am wondering if that will do? That one is GL5 so not sure if I'd be better finding some GL4 as that is what the handbook states?

2. I understand there isn't much space to get a hex key in to undo the drain plug. Most people seem to cut down a 12mm hex key to get in. Does anyone know if a 12mm one of these would fit in the space available? Laser Drain Plug Key Set | Halfords UK
I just put some high quality Millers 75W90 tranmission oil into a 5 speed GTV JTS gearbox (same or very similar). I found reccomendations for 80,85 and 90 depending on where I looked. 75W85 is not really widely available at all. Also, I used one of those laser style plugs and they just about fitted in the bottom drain, if you break the initial torque and get it loose enough to back out by hand it's fine. The drain for the diff looked impossible to access so I didn't bother.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Did mine yesterday combined with taking the end plate off to clear out the debris. There's no need to undo the diff plug but I made a 10 mm hex bit just in case. For the main drain plug I used the larger one, which is a combined 12/14 mm bit. (The 1 has disappeared for the 14). Actually the access isn't that bad for the main drain.
I used 2 litres of GL 5 specified as on Shop4Parts website and in the owner handbook. Mine is 2001 so either yours still needs GL4 or the specification changed for all including earlier cars. The V6 had GL4 specified (and Tutela Matryx GL4 is still available) but that too uses GL5. Alfa Workshop spec GL5 for all now and they really do know their stuff!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the main drain plug I used the larger one, which is a combined 12/14 mm bit. (The 1 has disappeared for the 14). Actually the access isn't that bad for the main drain.
View attachment 938372
How much free space did you have when using that 40mm length one? I've found a 12mm hex socket which I can get a ring spanner on, but it measures 48mm long so not sure if it will fit in the drain plug area or not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In my V6 I use Mobilube 1 75W-90 Fully Synthetic, it's a GL4/GL5. Believe it's quite popular with early Porsche owners.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found this out that the Tutela ZC 80/S which was recommended for the phase 1 is 80w90 and I think mineral oil.

This seems a bit different from what I see recommended regularly on this forum which is normally 75w80 or 75w90.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The workshop manual suggests 75w90 GL5, and after emailing Autolusso they suggested Fuchs Titan Gear Syn 75w90 as that's what they say they use in the workshop on the TS boxes. Think I'll go with that. Thanks for all the recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts