Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm looking to change my 159 2.4 auto gearbox oil.
I have watched a few YouTube video's & it seams quite straight forward,
All the videos show the Volvo which I'm assured is the same box.
the Volvo has an oil cooler, Can someone please tell me dose the 159 & if so where is it?
Or is there a YouTube video that shows this carried out on an Alfa?
Also would you recommend using an oil flush 1st?
Any Help would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Chris.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no radiator for 1.9, I won’t tell you about 2.4. Oil changes as in this video:
In alpha, everything is absolutely identical. I use oil ravenol atf t-ws lifetime.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was advised to never use an oil flush as they are likely to dislodge any debris which if not removed will circulate and potentially cause problems - so if it aint broke dont fix it kind of attitude with the flush :)

I would recommend going for Millers Gearbox oil, if you get the spec you need you can buy the gearbox oil from ebay for a very good price

I have had the gearbox oil replaced 3 times now on my 3.2 in the last 2 years and the gear changes are silky smooth - I also regularly lubricate the gear cables which is a must

I changed the gearbox oil originally at 125k but then a month later in italy i needed to replace the CV boot which they pulled the driveshaft from the gearbox and replaced the brand new gearbox oil with cheap budget stuff! The italian garage thought they were doing me a favour but i could instantly tell the difference between the oils

I then had it replaced again last year when the same cv boot failed again! turned out to be a kinked brake line which rubbed on the cv boot whilst on full lock and caused it to split

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks for the heads up on the flush, I wasn't sure about doing it as I'm not sure you can flush it all back out, therefor causing damage to the new oil.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Think you will find the 2.4 auto box oil change is nothing like volvo. Would say Tutela is what Alfa recommend. There is a certain well established Alfa independent wants around £400 to do this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone recommend which type of oil as there's so many? my manual recommends Tutela GI/VI
To keep "in spec" any Dexron -VI ATF will do. These are Low viscosity formulations.
The procedure for draining, refilling and checking oil level is fundamentally the same as all the volvo videos. The exception being transmission fluid temperature. Alfa romeo check fluid level between 35°C - 45°C

See the provided link for a pdf on the Qtronic(page 29/80 - oil level check)

www.forum.alfaholicy.org/zalacznik/zrob_to_sam/170339d1434659688-_159_dynamiczna_wymiana_oleju__asb_af40__tronic-aisin_af40_6_speed_auto1.pdf

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To keep "in spec" any Dexron -VI ATF will do. These are Low viscosity formulations.
The procedure for draining, refilling and checking oil level is fundamentally the same as all the volvo videos. The exception being transmission fluid temperature. Alfa romeo check fluid level between 35°C - 45°C

www.forum.alfaholicy.org/zalacznik/zrob_to_sam/170339d1434659688-_159_dynamiczna_wymiana_oleju__asb_af40__tronic-aisin_af40_6_speed_auto1.pdf
Thanks for that it will be most helpful.
I might have time to do it while the county is in lock down for the next 8 weeks LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IM looking on eBay & there's a massive difference in price Mannol, Smith Allen & EXOL are all about £70 for 20lt but Millers is double that, £143.
Is it that much better???

·
Registered
766 Posts
From memory the manual gearbox oil capacity is under 3 litres

So in the past I bought 3 x 1litre bottles of Millers Oils CRX 75W90 NT+ High Racetransmission Gearbox oil and this is £16.95 per litre so should only be £50.85 from ebay, but is the auto gearbox around 8 litres? - I'm not sure what it is tbh

Depends if you drive the car fast or not, I drive mine very hard and wanted the best gearbox oil for its application which is the millers

Other gearbox oil is okay but depends how much work it is for you to get in there and replace it :)

You will likely not need to change the gearbox oil again so I'd recommend putting in whatever you'd be happy with :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The full ATF capacity is 7.14 Litres @ 15°C.(from another official source)
Please, don't make the mistake of directly measuring kg for litres in a 1:1 ratio.

For example
Tutela GI/VI has a density of 0.855 g/cm³ @ 15°C which is equivalent to 0.855 kg/litre
So 3.32kg is actually 3.883 Litres (3.32 divided by 0.855).

Alfa quote(from another official source)
" Changing oil during service : 3.89 Litres @ 15 deg c "

That Mannol branded ATF VI is the closet to Tutela GI/VI i've seen to date !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Thanks for you comments.
Apparently the sump capacity of the gearbox is 3lts but the gear box its self hold more, You might have to what the video to understand.
The sump has to be drained & refilled then you have to flush the rest out 1.5lts at a time from the cooler pipes, until its clean. This takes approx. 15lts to flush.
Hence why I'm looking to buy 20lts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wont flush my auto box as I'm not sure you can guarantee to clear all the flush out.
As Alfaromeo939s said "I was advised to never use an oil flush as they are likely to dislodge any debris which if not removed will circulate and potentially cause problems - so if it aint broke dont fix it kind of attitude with the flush :)"
So that's a no go.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks so much for this document! Are there any other similar documentation for our car? Apart from eLearn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts