Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:has any body changed a clutch by just moving the gear box to the right hand side by 9 inches, hanging the gearbox on couple of long bolts from top and supporting underneath too.
i think this may work,disconnect the d/shafts.disconnect gear linkage,release slave cylinder . remove wheel arch. do you need to remove starter ? break all bolts gearbox/engine
support gearbox/engine.place long bolts in top holes then slide g/b 9 - 12 inches to right as you are looking at it, (keeping the box in the same horizontal plane as engine). is there enough room to replace clutch plate pressure plate and release bearing ? just turn engine over and undo all the bolts holding on pressure plate?
any thoughts ???????????????????????

thanks paul

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Starter has to come off, but I can say you won't get it over by 9-12 inches, more like 3 or 4 if your lucky.

6 torx hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. since the engine is a TS (I assume) it's a push type clutch, if V6 it's a pull type.

It is doable definitely but you'll be swearing and cursing all the time though.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I concur with 916, it would as easy to take the box out as move it as you will have to do the same things as you will to remove it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it sounds like its better to remove the box completely, to change the clutch. how is this done ?
thanks paul

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Two top bolts on gearbox, one front and one rear above starter motor, remove starter motor, this can be done from above but is awkard as the awkard nut is below starter motor. (2xbolts on starter motor). Remove bottom bolts on gearbox. Remove bottom bolt on gearbox mount (passenger wheel arch) Disconnect gearselector rods rods (3) Unbolt earth strap, disconnect slave cylinder and undo front electrical connection and rear electrical connection. Then get below car and undo rear engine mount. Then remove drive shaft from gearbox on passenger side. Position car jack below gearbox with a block of some kind and wiggle the box to the right and it should come free after you fill the swear jar. I found wiggle and drop to be the best way to free from engine ie twist down and wiggle and it should pop free altough a bit of soft wood wedge in any gap you see develop between gearbox and engine did help me to sep the box from the engine.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o.k thankyou, don;t you have to remove driver's side drive shaft or is that left attached to box ?
cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts