Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i HAVE A 164 AUTO AND AFTER PUTTING IN DRIVE IT GOES FOR A FEW MINUTES AND I LOSE ALL DRIVE WHEN I TURN OF AND BACK ON IT STARTS TO MOVE THE STOPS AFTER A NFEW HUNDRED METERS. ANY IDEAS:confused:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had the same issue with my 166 sportonic and it was because the oil pump had died, had a burning clutch smell a few days before it died, is it making any noise, check the oil level!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Yes it does make a noise and no noise when it cuts out
Does the gearbox have to come out to replce-repair pump
Thanks for help
Ken

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes sadly, I know the 166 auto box is supposed to sealed for life so neeeds no maintenance, but found this is not true! :( Might be a better idea to get another gearbox as a repair might be expensive!

·
Registered
12 Posts
166 Gearbox temperature

Hi Yes it does make a noise and no noise when it cuts out
Does the gearbox have to come out to replce-repair pump
Thanks for help
Ken
I had the same problem last week on my 166 and "limped" home. I also am in Australia so am keen to hear how you solved the problem. ( I am guessing the gearbox was removed:().

Gotta say I think I have a fantiastic car :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Alfisto Steve has tons of experience over on 'that' US forum ;) stripping these boxes apart. They can be refurbed on a bench at home if you have tools and room (time and some skill will come in handy too).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can I ask, how did the box behave in sport mode? (when it was working) Mine jerks a bit when I'm slowing down to around 50-60 and it changes down to keep the revs up. Did yours do this?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Note the original poster's 164 might have an earlier type of auto box without Sport mode (no electronics at all in versions prior to 1994).

-Alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still looking at opitons to fix the 166 sportronic auto gear box. My son-in-law came over today (he's a mechanic) and in his oinion it is the gear oil pump :cry:
Good news is I have found a 166 wreck (insurance write off, front end) up for auction this Wednesday and am seriously thinking of bidding. (it may be handy to keep some parts as I intend to keep my 166).
One question. my 166 was built 9/2000 and the insurance write off 12/2005. The Vechicle I.D. number is the same i.e. ZAR936000. Can any one give me a pointer as to if the auto gear box may be the same?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts