Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I need help! I have a 164 3,0 V6 that suffered a major clutch-breakdown :cry:. After replacing the clutch a fitting the gearbox back to the engine the gearbox had somehow gotten stuck in reverse gear. No I can't get it out again! I've tried everything and need help!

Thankful for any help that i can get! Im on a very tight budget, student, so a professional service station is sadly out of the question!

Hoping that my darling haven't rolled her last meter :(

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
It's a while since I worked on a 164 itself, but I have a 164 engine/box in one of my cars and am reasonably familiar with them...so...

First thought would be linkage. Disconnect the linkage form the box again, then see if you can change gears OK using the selector shaft directly on top of the box. I've only heard of 1 case of a box getting stuck, that got jammed 'between' gears after the car it was in hit a tree. Eventually it was possible to un-jam it I understand, just by using a lot of force on the selector.

If the box really is jammed, they aren't that hard to strip down. Worst part is undoing the large nuts on the ends of the 1st & 2nd motion shafts, most awkward part is fiddling the selector as you remove and replace the main gearbox casing.

Hopefully it'll just be the linkage jamming on something.

HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your ideas ChrisS, sadly I've already tried the linkage. The weird part is that it happened when the car was stationary. Not the clutch part but the getting stuck in reverse part. It worked perfect before even with the clutch in pieces.

The gearbox did not fall to the ground nor did it get any hart hits when repositioning it!

I've tried to force the gear-lever on the gearbox whit : Excessive manual force! a small sledgehammer and also a large plumbers wrench!

Is it even possible for the gearbox to "self-destruct" in such a manor or is my problem as easy as a wrongly installed clutch? Could a incorrectly mounted clutch-plate cause this type of problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saved from the scrapheap!!!

Happy to say that I finaly managed to loosen the gearbox from reverse gear! So now it finaly goes in both directions :thumbs:!

I'm trying to find a suitable transmissionfluid for it, will a standard Dexron III work? An how much should I use?

Thankfull for any help i can get!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Re: Saved from the scrapheap!!!

Happy to say that I finaly managed to loosen the gearbox from reverse gear! So now it finaly goes in both directions :thumbs:!

I'm trying to find a suitable transmissionfluid for it, will a standard Dexron III work? An how much should I use?

Thankfull for any help i can get!
It is not transmission fluid in a manual box!!

You use semi-synthetic gearbox oil, about 2L required if I remember correctly (but I may be wrong on the amount).

There is a dipstick on the top of the diff to check the level.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts