Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 156 selespeed wich i have been having some trouble with. First thanks to the people who were helping with my 4th gear selection problem, now i have an altogether worse problem:rant:.

A little info: for the past few weeks when drivng for over about half an hour the car would not select 4th gear.

Now i was driving to up to a roundabout droped it from 4th to 3rd going about 40mph, and there was an almighty clunk and no gears after that.

I can here the selespeed pump working and it tries to select the gear, you can here the mechanism moving so thnkfully it is not a actuator issue, but im worried it could need a new gearbox.

Any ideas or could it just be as simple as a conector from the selespeed actuator to the gearbox.

Also just to ad my clutch release bearing went around 15,000 miles ago with the same non selection of gears symtom but i had a new clutch kit fitted. SO 15,000 miles cant be the life of a clutch!!!.

Thanks in advance, Charlie

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Until your last sentence I was going to say - clutch release mechanism.....

Just to double check, can you select gears with the engine not running? If so, it definitely points at the clutch. If not, then unfortunately it could be the box - the "connector from the actuator to the gearbox" is just a rod, and if there is an issue with that the gearbox has to come out anyway.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you said yes unfortunately it wont select any gears, with the engine running or not running. Sounds as if its trying, i get three clicks as if the gear is trying to be selected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone got any other ideas, if i was to buy a used gearbox, would it have to be one from a a selespeed or will any 2.0 156 gearbox fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there am new to this i had this problem my 147 sellespeed thought it was the gear box but it turned out to be a bad earth connection mine would not select any gears or oat justmade 3 clunking sounds the garage i took it to recalibrated the selle speed system and it works fine hope this helps

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input i had mine recalibrated, and it was fine for a couple of weeks untill i went into 4th again and it droped to neutral again. I have had it recalibrated again and it is fine once more (FOR HOW LONG?). Could this be my problem then a bad earth?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts