Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Giulietta 1.4 Multiair. I have an intermittent issue with my gearbox where it crunches going into second gear. It does this at very low speeds, and occasionally when I change into second gear at higher speeds. As an experiment, I've noticed it does this when I launch at 3000rpm. If I don't launch but just pull away spiritedly, it's fine.

I've changed the gearbox fluid and it's much better. I'm guessing the synchro is worn? I'm not hearing any noises either. All my other gears are fine. If I downshift into second I sometimes feel a faint clunk but it's never refused to go into second gear.

I'm thinking of bleeding the clutch while changing the brake fluid, if it might help. How do I do this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, it sounds like a worn synchro to me.
With regards to bleeding the clutch, where's the biting point? If it's between halfway and near the the top, there's no point: the clutch should be disengaging correctly. If it's right at the bottom, that could indicate air in the system and it would be worth bleeding. It would also mean that it wasn't disengaging properly and would be putting strain on the synchros.
I'm afrad I've got a TCT so I'd don't know the bleeding procedure (but there are threads on this forum).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it sounds like a worn synchro to me.
With regards to bleeding the clutch, where's the biting point? If it's between halfway and near the the top, there's no point: the clutch should be disengaging correctly. If it's right at the bottom, that could indicate air in the system and it would be worth bleeding. It would also mean that it wasn't disengaging properly and would be putting strain on the synchros.
I'm afrad I've got a TCT so I'd don't know the bleeding procedure (but there are threads on this forum).
You've got me stumped, I can't recall where the biting point is. I think it's closer to the bottom. Will check this afternoon and follow your advice.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
The clutch is a PTA to bleed as you have to partly disconnect the pipe to do it (No on/off bleed nipple)

If the clutch isn't biting near the floor it probably doesn't need bleeding.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it only affects 2nd it's nothing to do with the clutch. What you have described is classic symptons of worn syncro. I'm not surprised that it gives problems when you launch it at 3000rpm, that's pretty hard driving.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hold the car at 3000 revs and then let the clutch out I presume. As I said , hard driving style! I once did a clutch for someone on a 10 year old 100k mile golf gti. I tried it out and it was fine. The customer drove it and said the gears were crunching. When I sat with him while he drove I was astonished to see him snatching the lever backwards and forwards at 5k revs through the gears. When I suggested his driving was a touch wild he seemed surprised.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clutch biting point is fine. A mate is taking my 'box out and getting the synchros and gears replaced via a friend of his who builds 'boxes for racecars. We just did his drag car's gearbox so I'm in good hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts