Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Earlier today i lost all gears except 3rd and 5th, then after ten minutes with the engine turned off had 1st 2nd 3rd 5th and reverse. 1st and 2nd were a bit tight though. 4th wouldnt engage and after full inspection of gear linkages cant find the problem. Darren took off the linkage and tried to select 4th gear manually, but even that wouldnt work. He drained the oil out and replaced it with new clean and shiny stuff after which 1st and 2nd loosened up and are now working fine again. Shot up the road in it for a test drive and all other gears are perfectly fine except i still cant select 4th at all. its as if somebody has taken it out :(
Anyone else had the same thing?????

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Good 155 gearboxes are like rocking-horse poo.

If you're going to keep your old ship for a while longer I'd say go for a factory recon' jobbie @ 500 sovs.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Rosbird1 said:
Just in case it turns out to be a knackered box, any ideas how much i could pick one up for?
Better still, anyone got one?
Depends if yours is an 8v or 16v. 8v boxes are dirt cheap, perhaps £50, but the 16v'ers are hard to find as Ralf says. Expect to pay up to £150 for one of them!

wrinx

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was about to cry while reading Ralf S's post, but thank goodness you had posted too wrinx! £50 is slightly more acceptable than £500 :)
Still gonna drop the box out and see whats what with it as all the other gears are lovely. I need some engine mounts replacing and also the starter motor, so it'll come off the road and all be done in one hit

hopefully :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Sounds familliar...
A pal had a similar problem with his 16v box a couple of years ago. He'd changed the gear oil some timie before that to the synthetic stuff as per the 156. The problem was fixed when he returned it to the 155s original spec oil.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
sounds like a bit of chipped cog maybe? moving around the box blocking your gears, my mechanic mentioned sumat a couple of years ago about a problem where a bit of stray cog would stop reverse engaging but ive never seen it. but if i remember there is deff a problem with the layshaft on some of the boxes , where is jimmybob when you need him im sure if you do a search for layshaft it may well turn something up :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts