Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The box is still playing up. Took it to Alwyn kershaws. The guy there gave it a quick once over reckoned it was something to do with the selector rods or something I don't really remember because the next thing he told me sent me into deep shock. To dismantle repair a refit the box was going to cost me in the region of £1500!!! and a replacement recon from alfa in the region of £700. Is this right? I've only had the car about 4 days and I'm absolutley gutted!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds a lot,

i paid US$200.00 to take down my box and chnage all the synchronizers..they cost me an additional $150.But, in panama labour is cheap.

Nicholas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does sound a lot. I'm sure Shug paid around £200-£300 to get his box done. Could be wrong, but it certainly wasn't that dear !!!

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy,
If you live in Doncaster you aren't too far away from Peak Alfa in Hope (Derbyshire). Roger there is going to rebuild my Bertone gear box around Xmas, he says the labour will be about £200 at 25 pounds an hour and the most expensive thing that might need replacing about £70. As he races a 155 v6 it might be worth giving him a ring.

www.peakalfa.co.uk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told about the same price for a rebuild,depending on what was found.
I got a second hand box for £100 and fitted for £150.There seems to be plenty boxes out there(it,s a fiat box).I was told a 145,lancia and fiat boxes will fit as long as it,s a 2.0.
Hope this helps
There,s a breaker in wisbech(i saw the add in autotrader) that had a couple of 155,s
Regards
Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys in my hour of need. All this info it is absolutely fantastic this makes me feel little bit better and not so much of a prat because I bought an Alfa rather than a nice steady Mondeo or Fiesta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't know even where to start I haven't got a clue about engines and stuff. Give me a camera or an edit suite and I'd be sorted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New development!

Spoke to Trentside near Scunthorpe he reckons it's not new gearbox job. He thinks its the clutch release (gate??) thingmybob and with be a fraction of the cost of a new box. Does this sound feasible?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only one way to find out Andy, get it out and have a look,best of luck , i hope its only the release bearing. Paul :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.