Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys can any one help?
alfa 147 2l ts. sometimes the car drives fine, then it will decide it wants to play! driving along and will stick in gear, sometimes it'll change back up after driving for a bit or when you stop drop into neutral and wont budge for a while. then all good! could it be the pump? the solenoid ? or just the multi pin connection? hopefully nothing major!:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh just an extra note. this is my sons new car , he just bought. and on me checking thing over , there wasnt any sele oil , have topped up but still. not going properly . seems like a sticking solenoid to me! am i right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sticky gear that doesn't return to neutral - need new top hat bushes for the gear selector plate.

I'll try find a link if it helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just ordered the bushes on ebay! just gotta wait for deliver to nz! good job the boy cant drive the car for a month or 2 and i'll get him to do it, he might appreciate the car more if he is doing the work on it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blimp , what do i check it for? its not running when i open the door, when son bought the car the oil in the little tank by the battery was empty. so i'm guessing the pump has been running empty! is there a way of checking if the pump is working at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its ok , i looked through some older threads , and tapped it with a bit ok wood. it kicked in and hey bingo we have gears! so looks like the pump is on its way out or stuck because its been run low on oil. i'll give it a few test drives and see how it goes! thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If it ran out of sele fluid then it's got a leak - either into the accumulator or into the gearbox itself (assuming no obvious external leaks). If into accumulator that's about NZD220 plus GST and if into the gearbox the actuator needs new seals and a refurb and that can be done in Auckland for about NZD1k plus. Also sounds like your pump's worn. Not sure if they can be refurbed or not. First I'd sort the pump, then see if it holds pressure. If not the accumulator needs replacing. Also check the oil level in the gearbox. If it's overfull then that's where the sele fluid went, and you need to fix your actuator. To check pressure and set clutch rod length you need diagnostics.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hamilton alfa dealer (prob not a good idea) or Maurice Thompsom Motors in Cambridge I think? Or download FES or Alfadiag onto your laptop and buy cable for connecting to car. There may be others up where you are - I'm from Wgtn so not sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll try the alfa diag and get a cable i think. but will look up the 1 in cambridge.
took the motor out for another drive today, dropped to neutral 3 times when pulling up. a quick tap on the pump and away it went. so deffo looks like a pump is needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts