Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've recently noticed that the gear stick on my 52 plate 147 doesn't centre when I take it out of gear.
Whilst this isn't a massive inconvenience I'm worried that it might signify something more sinister - any ideas??
Only done 34K and serviced regularly etc so hoping not a major problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
More than likely the gear linkage, I have the same problem on my 156. It's supposed to be a cheap fix, some recommend lubing the linkage (behind the battery on the 156), although I have tried this method and it is well and truly knackered!

Welcome to Alfa Romeo !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just been looking at other posts that have had the same problem. I have also just rung local independant who says they know exactly what it is and will fix for £50 cash and just half hour job. I don't want to start messing round with it myself really!!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Unless I am very much mistaken the gear "linkage" consists of two cables.

One does the forwards and backwards, the other does the side to side stuff.

If either gets dry and partially siezes you will get that effect at first, and lubing the CABLES could help.

Could be that. Might be something else.

Paulus

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes true, for the lateral movement on the gearstick, there is a spring on part of the gear linkage. This particular spring on my car has gone very slack - I don't know if it has stretched or not, but there is no tension on there. I am guessing that the spring is used to self centre the gear stick, which mine isn't doing! Not too sure where I could get a replacement, as there is nothing on Eper that looks like it !

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Mate if yours is a 1.6 then get it sorted, its the gear selector plate needs replacing with a newer modified part. Had this on my old twinny but ended up damaging a syncro and lost 3rd gear, is your gearbox crunching into gears at all? If so the damage is done and expect to have to put a 2nd hand or recon in or full rebuild at some point.

Do a search through google it'll pick up more threads relating to this issue than ao search does.

;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Does the "gear selector plate" come in a kit form - I still can't get my head around this. Some people mention the long bolt with 2 bushes, others are mentioning the plate ! Excuse my ignorance, but how can a metal plate wear out ?!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Does the "gear selector plate" come in a kit form - I still can't get my head around this. Some people mention the long bolt with 2 bushes, others are mentioning the plate ! Excuse my ignorance, but how can a metal plate wear out ?!
The plate has the gear selector fork attached to it, this is a sprung moving part, unfortunately what happens is the bit it is attached to seizes then the thing snaps and this causes the gearstick to no longer centre.

Alfa Romeo have a modified part to replace broken ones with, I'm not sure how it was modified but I had to have 2 of these fitted on my previous 1.6 147 and the second one was a different part number.

Alfa have a habit of doing this, cambelt pretensioners are now no longer plastic, they are cast alloy to stop them being stripped (the main reason for cambelt failure on a twinny).

·
Registered
473 Posts
So does the spring (what you can see in the picture) come with the plate as well then? can't get any info off ePER and the Alfa parts desk have no idea what I'm talking about. I have told them the exact problem I have with the gear stick not centreing, and still not getting anywhere! I have no idea of part numbers or price or anything, the only info i could give them was my chasis number !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
I, for I have a 147, too have this issue. When lubricated with WD40 or lithium grease, the fore and aft and side-to-side movement is fine. But the stick still does not centre. I get no cruching of any gears. Going from 5th to 3rd, for example, is a lottery so much so that often I end up in 2nd or 4th instead because I get fed up and have no drive.

So, it could still be one or more of several things...a small worn plate appears to be the most likely thing. An indie has suggested that for £100 they can replace the fulcrum? (don't know what they mean as there are a number of pivots about. Most of the cost would be labour 60-90mins they say.

The picture above is different from what I have. I have orange and blue coloured plastic bits.

I'm still baffled. Any ideas?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gear selector plate is about 25ish quid and you can fit it yourself within an hour or so...like brand new when finished!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
473 Posts
OK, now I'm being told that it could be something under the floor. I can confirm that the cables are moving under the bonnet when the gear stick is moved, so could be something else!

Contacted Alfa Romeo direct as well, they seem to think that the part you need to cure a stiff, non-centering gear stick is £114 + vat.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mancdavo,

Did they manage to fix it for £50?
If so, which garage did you use?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for late reply - only just looked.

I used Alfatech in Huddersfield and yes, it was £50 + VAT. I've used them for a few things now and they seem really good. Both the blokes that work there are Alfa drivers so they obviously are interested in the cars. They are really good for services - use all genuine parts but cost a fraction of the main dealers.

No - I'm not on commission!

·
0 Posts
I did this to my 156 recently - it improved things:

Intake off & battery out

Cable unclipped & shoved out of the way (top of first pic) - what is that BTW?

Undid this nut with 17mm socket

Removed the shaft - which looked pretty clean

Then rolled up some fine grade sandpaper & cleaned out the casting - loadsa crud came out

Re-assembled using plenty of grease on the shaft & there is now a massive improvement :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts