Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Cut a long story.... not quite so long. On sunday i got stuck in some very deep, soft, very slippery snow. I spent 40 minutes trying to get it out which included the tried and tested rocking technique. I had to stop after 15 minutes of trying as i could start smelling the clutch. Eventually after another 25 minutes, 3 people pushing, a lot of digging and a bag of sand i was free.

There is no apparent change to the running of the car but suddenly i have noticed that unless i am very slow at releasing the clutch, when changing into 5th the clutch does not engage smoothly at all, I can almost describe it as a bang as i lift my foot and the car jerks sometime quite violently.

Have i caused damage to the clutch after all this or have i developed an unrelated problem in the transmission? All other gears are fine and there is no sign of the clutch slipping or the transmission creeping.

Car is an 01 2.0 ts manual.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i will do that very soon. Never done it before, is it quite straight forward?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, another job to go on the to do list as well as: New ARB, New lower wisbone on drivers side and a tapered sump plug.

The symptoms seem to be going now. I suspect it might have been water in the clutch. The main pipe to the thermostat at the front is leaking for no good reason and the clutch inspection cover is right under the thermostat. Last time it felt like that was while driving through the severe floods last year.

·
Registered
527 Posts
your diagnosis makes a lot of sense. You'd be surprised how often a seeping hose leaking water over the top of the bellhousing causes clutch problems. (Im talking generally not just alfa) the more you use it the better it should get.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I Had a similar feeling of gears not selecting on my 147, especially after amotorway blast (engine bay hot) after changing the geabox oil, and removing the gear box end plate, all that was needed was some lube to the pin connecting the control cables (gear and clutch) to the gear box. after i stripped out the pin cleaned it (it was dry and powdery) and liberally lubed with EP30 all worked fine, that was a year ago and no repeats so far. large session of touching wood now taking place. :):lol:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I had my selector fork/linkage changed, water runs down thus and ceases over time. Smooth as now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts