Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Appearantly, 156 V6 6 speed box is the one to go for for GTA's. It's a little shorter and makes acceleration quicker....

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yeah i cant work out whether he means short/quicker shifts, or shorter ratios for acceleration or longer for top speed, but i would presume its the latter options:thumbs:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm talking about shorter ratio gearbox, which would make the GTA accelerate faster. Don't know about the top end. It maybe that the 5th and 6th gear are same as GTA...don't know.

But I do know that this is one of the fave mods done by glenwood motors.

Lemi

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean gear ratio, or gear lever?
yeah i cant work out whether he means short/quicker shifts, or shorter ratios for acceleration or longer for top speed, but i would presume its the latter options

Gear Ratios is what I mean

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
I have a 2.5 gearbox in my 156 with a 3.0 engine, its ideal for the track really. Rubbish for 0-60 times as you need to change into third at 57mph (or raise the rev limiter).

I know there are a few GTAs and 3.2 GTs out there with 2.5 gearboxes in them because they have bought them off me after their diff has gone pop.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So, does that mean that it would get to 0-57mph quicker than with normal GTA box.... what about 0-100mph?

What have those customers thought when the got the 2.5 box?

Lemi

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
So, does that mean that it would get to 0-57mph quicker than with normal GTA box.... what about 0-100mph?
Technically it would be quicker, assuming you don't break traction which would be easier with a 2.5 gearbox than with the standard one..

What have those customers thought when the got the 2.5 box?

Lemi
None of them were really "into" their car's, they just wanted to fix them in the cheapest way possible and then sell them - if they were into their car's they'd have the gearboxes sent to us for a rebuild & Q2. A 10 year old 2.5 box & standard diff isn't exactly going to last long in a GTA.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
2,5 V6 and GTA have the same gearbox ratios, just the final gear is different making the 2,5 V6 box shorter. It would be nice to have gears 1-4 short and 5 and 6 longer :)

I 3,500
II 2,235
III 1,520
IV 1,156
V 0,971
VI 0,816
R 3,545

Final gear 2,5V6: 3,937
Final gear GTA: 3,733

·
Registered
35 Posts
I plan to replace my original 2,5 engine with a 3,0 in my 155.
When you have all this stuff on the floor I might as well mount a 6-speed gearbox with a Q2 diff.
Meanwhile I`m not quite into the differences between all 6-speed boxes, especially concerning strength. I have been told that a gearbox from a 2,4 JTD fits on a 3,0 V6. Is that true?
Generally it appears that the 6 gears are "compressed", so each end matches a 5-speed ditto, and I am not convinced that the shorter legs have an advantage to one shift less in a 5- speed.
I am content with my 5 "legs" and would`nt mind to have a longer 6th. for the motorway. We always can finetune with the size of the wheels.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
None of them were really "into" their car's, they just wanted to fix them in the cheapest way possible and then sell them - if they were into their car's they'd have the gearboxes sent to us for a rebuild & Q2. A 10 year old 2.5 box & standard diff isn't exactly going to last long in a GTA.
I hate people like that and it then becomes some other poor sods problem.

Good reason to ensure you buy off an enthusiast though.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
I have been told that a gearbox from a 2,4 JTD fits on a 3,0 V6. Is that true?
Not quite as simple as bolt on, the bell housing is different, and the gearbox casing and bellhousing are machined together, so you would need to remove the internals from a 2.5 V6 gearbox casing & bellhousing, fit the 2.4 JTD internals, and then fit it to the car. I think the 2.4 10v box would be a bit too leggy for a V6 though, unless it was a 3.8 or a supercharged version. A 1.9 16v JTD 6-speed would be a better choice but I think for a track weapon, the 2.5 gearbox is the way forward. GTV 3.0 is a bit longer legged, 3.2 a touch more again.

I hate people like that and it then becomes some other poor sods problem.

Good reason to ensure you buy off an enthusiast though.
I reckon they'd be the type to trade them in for a new-ish BMW or Audi, and then it becomes the dealer/warranty company's problem. No one is going to spend more than they have to if they plan on getting rid of the car though, regardless of what brand it is.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
For cheapness and ease of sourcing one, I would pick a 156 2.5 V6 6-speed gearbox to go in your 155 with the 3.0 24v engine.

I don't think any of the gearboxes are stronger/weaker than any of the rest, they are all the same design, same diff, same casings except different cut-outs & bolt locations, just the ratios that differ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts