Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just got my suspenion fixed .now got a new fault, when the gear box is in neutral it is stiff from side to side gears are ok but do get a crunch in 3rd ,ny ideas on what the problem is as i am a little puzzled.:confused:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As stated the stiff gears from side to side are probably the plastic "top hat" type bushes within the linkage on top of the gearbox but the crunching in third is possibly the syncro, it may sound strange but drive the car long enough with gentle changes ito 3rd and the crunching may improve.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
had a look at the top of the gear box and sprayed wd40 on it, it has started happening as car is not driven in the week as working away. where do i find the bushes what do they look like on top of the box. do i need to go to alfa to get them

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Joseph, use the search function on the forum, there's guides on here with pictures, from what I remember the bushes just need cleaning and regreasing

·
Registered
231 Posts
when the gear box is in neutral it is stiff from side to side :confused:
mine is the same, only noticed it today, its fine going into gears, just when stationary if you push the gear stick over to the left and let go it stays there, not spring back to centre as it should,

guess i'll be reading that tutorial lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanku to all that gave me advice for my alfa problem, i will be sorting it out next weekend watch this space.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can anyone shed any light on my gear selector issue. There is no side to side stiffness, but I do have play side to side and a notchiness when selecting any gear, the gear box oil was replaced approx 12,000 miles ago.

I am thinking it may be a master or slave cylinder, would the bushes also give this symptom?

Cheers

Dom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts