Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
I haven't got rid as it is so heavy and I didn't want to hurt my back.

I really should drag it to the front and let the scrap men take it, but you never know do you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
Bad news anyway. just had a look and whilst it is present the rubber is split as well. It is probably going to be a common issue if it isn't already...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Appreciate you checking anyway symon, Mick at shop4parts said 7-10 days for the part to come from FCA in Italy.

You'd think looking at it it would be a common issue, but doesn't seem to be a standard stock item for the usual parts sources. Allcarpartsfast was the only other place I could find stocking it, and as I'm not in a hurry due to lockdown am happy to wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
A possible candidate for a polyurethane or nylon modification? Probably wouldn’t make a fortune making them however. I did make up several nylon 66 bushes for my 33, for gear linkage as an example but I had access to lathes etc. then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
it's a balljoint that failed, like anr arb endlink. Didn't pay attention to the other end, and don't have it on my tct to check. But should be possible to make something from univeral ball joints and threaded rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
is it possible to put a cable tie over it to stop it popping off until the new part comes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
I refer the honourable gentleman to my statement contained in post # 14.;).
In hindsight I would consider two cable ties looped through each other, one around the lever and the other around the rod. That way the tension could be adjusted in each individually to obtain the best security but maintaining articulation. Not the figure of eight I suggested then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
Apologies as didn't see your original cable tie suggestion in post 14.

If you cannot fix something with cable ties then you are not using enough cable ties... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
symon. Have you tried Gorilla Tape? Wonderful stuff. Probably not suitable in this case, but worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
Strange you say that as I have just bought a roll to stick the new number plate on the front of my 3 series. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
The double sided version I hope, the black duct tape type would work but wouldn’t look as nice. I found out about the duct tape version when I had the disc carriers from my BMW motorcycle shot blasted and they masked the discs with it to protect them. It took me absolute ages to remove the tape and the adhesive, it found its way into all the cross-drillings, what a pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,175 Posts
It is the clear mounting tape, it is around 1mm thick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
According to the AA man he reckons to see the same issue on many makes of cars every other day. He used Gorilla super glue to stick the rubber pipe into the circular then lockwired the two metal arms together to stop it jumping up and off the ball on the gearbox selector arm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,121 Posts
The double sided version I hope, the black duct tape type would work but wouldn’t look as nice. I found out about the duct tape version when I had the disc carriers from my BMW motorcycle shot blasted and they masked the discs with it to protect them. It took me absolute ages to remove the tape and the adhesive, it found its way into all the cross-drillings, what a pain.
the gorilla black tape is proper decent stuff I had never used it before but ordered a tubeless tyre kit for my road bike that had it in the kit to do inside of the rim with.

Once it’s on it takes some getting off that’s for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
All sorted today, thanks to all who contributed in this thread and a huge thanks to shop4parts and their always excellent service. Exactly 7 of the 7-10 working days they told me for delivery.

Thanks jackfi for the diagram. Actually took longer to get the old part off than the new one on. Took off the engine cover and the air hose to get a bit of extra room, once the old part was off it took about 5 seconds to clip the new one on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Let's hope it stays on longer. Thanks for the update, so many don’t which then doesn’t help further enquirers. (y)
You've stumbled on one of my pet hates. I work in IT and in the days I was on the helpdesk (thankfully long past!) people were forever moaning about things that were broken and wanted updates but would never tell us when things were fixed so we could close the calls or apply the same fix for other people with the same issue.
 
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Top